HollyMarie

What's something that's unique to Colorado?

42 posts in this topic

On 7/18/2017 at 6:51 PM, scars&staples said:

Holly, 

If I may, and I guess I am bias with this statement, after living here for 40+ years but try to enjoy every sunset you can in Colorado. Each is equally unique. 

I could suggest trails to explore, events to experience, and lots of good food to eat. Everyone's suggestions are fantastic and should be experienced. But, I've always been amazed at how beautiful a sunset is over the Rockies. 

That sounds perfect. I love to wake up at sunrise here in Texas to drink coffee and read the news. Twilight is my favorite time of day. I wish I could freeze time, but the sunset is the best part of the evening, it will be nice with a new backdrop. 

On 7/18/2017 at 5:50 PM, gr8owl said:

Royal Gorge (adventurous ride zip line across), Black Canyon of the Gunnison (boat tours and fishing in the bottom on crystal and morrow point reservoirs), Dinosaur Monument, petrified forest and fossile beds national monument near Florissant, Grand Mesa and its dozens of lakes and ........... Never a lack of things to do and see

Ooooo boat tours so amazing! I don't think I've ever been on one. Fishing is always fun, what kind of fish are in Colorado? 

On 7/18/2017 at 4:41 PM, RandySavage said:

Don't forget Casa Bonita

I'm trying to !

3 hours ago, HollyMarie said:

Ooooo boat tours so amazing! I don't think I've ever been on one. Fishing is always fun, what kind of fish are in Colorado? 

Top of the list in my opinion are several strains of trout.  On the Gunnison and Black Canyon rainbow and brown trout.  In Blue Mesa Reservoir upstream of the canyon, those two plus lake trout and cutthroat plus Kokanee salmon.  But in lower elevations and warmer water (Pueblo Reservoir for instance) Colorado also has wiper, bass, pike, tiger muskie, crappie, perch and catfish.  White fish on the western slope.  Probably forgetting something, but ....... lots.  Oh, yeah, not to forget brook trout in the mountain streams and lakes.

2 minutes ago, gr8owl said:

Top of the list in my opinion are several strains of trout.  On the Gunnison and Black Canyon rainbow and brown trout.  In Blue Mesa Reservoir upstream of the canyon, those two plus lake trout and cutthroat plus Kokanee salmon.  But in lower elevations and warmer water (Pueblo Reservoir for instance) Colorado also has wiper, bass, pike, tiger muskie, crappie, perch and catfish.  White fish on the western slope.  Probably forgetting something, but ....... lots.  Oh, yeah, not to forget brook trout in the mountain streams and lakes.

Of course, since it's Colorado, it's going to be fly fishing!  Which is a lot more fun.  More like hunting than traditional fishing, since you're more actively stalking the fish... getting right in the water yourself than standing on the shore, figuring out where the fish are likely to be, just behind that rock, and gently laying your fly just in front of it, watch it flip behind the rock pulled by the current, and then you see the trout strike...

17 minutes ago, FuriousWeasel said:

Of course, since it's Colorado, it's going to be fly fishing!  

Each to their own.  I prefer lures myself.  A rare treat is a float tube on Blue Mesa, getting into a monster laker and getting drug around the lake - hopefully not farther out than I can paddle back lol.  But the best way to fish of course is with the right fishin' buddy

Related image

You actually have 4 seasons in Colorado vs the Texas suffocating hot and ice storms.  

On 7/21/2017 at 9:13 AM, FuriousWeasel said:

Of course, since it's Colorado, it's going to be fly fishing!  Which is a lot more fun.  More like hunting than traditional fishing, since you're more actively stalking the fish... getting right in the water yourself than standing on the shore, figuring out where the fish are likely to be, just behind that rock, and gently laying your fly just in front of it, watch it flip behind the rock pulled by the current, and then you see the trout strike...

I've always wanted to go fly fishing! That sounds like so much fun!! Seriously, I would be so up for any kind of fishing. What kind of fish is big in Colorado?

15 minutes ago, HollyMarie said:

What kind of fish is big in Colorado?

It all depends on who is telling the story! And the fish gets bigger with each retelling.

Signature

9 minutes ago, Johnboy#1 said:

It all depends on who is telling the story! And the fish gets bigger with each retelling.

Signature

lol I love a good fish tale. 
I haven't been fishing since I was a girl scout so it sounds like a really fun time. 

44 minutes ago, HollyMarie said:

I've always wanted to go fly fishing! That sounds like so much fun!! Seriously, I would be so up for any kind of fishing. What kind of fish is big in Colorado?

Boink !! ;)

8 minutes ago, JRWolfe said:

Boink !! ;)

You love being outdoors too? Geez, how are you real? giphy.gif