MyraGold

Tips for buying a home here?

29 posts in this topic

Hey Tob! I know we have people of all different backgrounds here, and was wondering if any Denver folk have ANY tips on finding a home in Denver(or outside of Denver with land)? I just started looking but in my price range all I'm seeing is tiny apartments/condos/run down closets for sale, and that's not what I want. Is it better to physically look around? Open to realtors but so far have not had any luck, as some people like to bait and switch online.

I'm sure hearing this is a broken record, my apologies!

I don't have any tips but I do share your pain. I just moved here from L.A and it's been SO hard trying to find a decent condo somewhere that isn't either overpriced or super small! Hopefully something good will come our way 🙌 Good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for ;) 

the denver market is just crazy right now, you can talk to a realtor and they have listings available from many different realtor that you may not see, they all work together, but I think cheap is out

Nothing will be cheep. Bennett used to be reasonable but ship has sailed. The further east the better. JMHO.

As others have said cheap is really out the window. If you want lower prices than Denver you're going to have to look at the surrounding areas. Also, should you actually find something you can afford just know people are going in well over asking price with a lot of cash on hand. 

Hell, there building a resort by the airport and if the NASCAR track gets approved, prices will more than double.

The old saying on the front range is go East until you find something you can afford, especially if you want land with your house.

I grew up here and it not just crazy its complete madness. I imagine verifiable income could pose a potential challenge. Happy to introduce you to real estate, finance, lender, tax people that are industry friendly 

I have lived here all my life and can attest that real estate market runs in cycles here, first up, then down.  If you graphed it, it would look as perfect as a Sine Wave.  I don't think it has anything to do with legalizing pot, it has more to do with the construction industry drying up in 2008-2011 so that we got behind on supply as demand kept coming.

In other words, I would not buy a house in Denver right now, there is a good chance that prices will retreat once the current construction projects all hit the market and the economy cools.

However, as desirable as Denver is, it will never be as affordable as it once was - it is now a premier city, not a cow town, and it will never be cheap.

If you're in the sub $300k market, ouch. Trust me I know.

neyd5k.png

Get pre qualified with a lender- So you know how much you can afford and don't have to wait for that process to be complete

Then when you find a home you like, you can be ready right away because if it is a deal, it will be sold in HOURS.

On 7/10/2017 at 2:40 PM, MyraGold said:

Hey Tob! I know we have people of all different backgrounds here, and was wondering if any Denver folk have ANY tips on finding a home in Denver(or outside of Denver with land)? 

Find an area you are interested in. Look for a realtor that has lots of listings there. Tell her/him your price range and look at some of the places. Tell her/him what you like and don't like about each place. That way they get to know you. I once had a realtor tell me she had a buyer when I was trying to decide who to contract with. Turns out she had spent 2 months with them and knew exactly what they liked. I sold in 2 days with no sign out front...lol

I live in Colorado spring and looking to move to Denver and prices are expensive even for rent.

Last year 2016 I know of one couple that submitted 16 offers until they finally hit. Their largest was $41k over asking price, and lost, talking sub $400k homes here. The one they finally hit was $25k over asking. I know of another couple this year 2017, 8 offers, so frustrated, I finally suggested a hood they had not looked in, 1 home for sale, they closed May 24th, only had to go $5k over. Yeah getting pre-qualed is paramount, but you gotta be prepared to compete. It's ridiculous. Simply shortage of inventory. In condos and town homes too. More Buyers than Sellers.

Thank you for the tips guys! Sounds like I'm sol though, basically.

On 7/11/2017 at 3:34 PM, fishndude57 said:

If you're in the sub $300k market, ouch. Trust me I know.

neyd5k.png

What is SFD?

17 minutes ago, inkspot said:

What is SFD?

Single Family Detatched. Not a condo or town home. 

Did you try north of Denver? Like Commerce City? There are foreclosed homes there for  $225? Stay away from Reunion development they have some of the highest property taxes in the State. Maybe north or east of Henderson or Brighton with older homes. That's where I'm looking to buy

21 minutes ago, 1hapyfeller said:

Did you try north of Denver? Like Commerce City? There are foreclosed homes there for  $225? Stay away from Reunion development they have some of the highest property taxes in the State. Maybe north or east of Henderson or Brighton with older homes. That's where I'm looking to buy

Drive till you qualify. It's not a bad philosophy at all. My sis ended up 145 miles from Denver. 6.2 acres in a modified home, $90k flat. She's now got 2 German Sheps, 13 chickens, a rooster, and 2 escape artist goats. The view of the San Juan's is uncompromised. For some reason the theme song from Green Acres keeps going through my head, shoot me now PLEASE!

Pre-qualified thankfully. So basically I already KNOW I can't afford Denver or surrounding. I just can't believe there is NOTHING. Really is disheartening.

I know what you mean. My property value went up 71K this past year. :( I bought my house way back in 1996 for 125K.  My boss found a house in my neighborhood for over 285K. This is outrageous.

This might be a possibility, I don't it was mentioned.   Denver Affordable Housing Program -  http://www.denverhousing.org/AffordableHousing/AffordableHousing/Pages/default.aspx

Here is a property that I just saw. I hope it isn't considered a shill to post the address of a place for sale?

2195 Decatur St UNIT 212, Denver, CO 80211.

anyway, I hope this might also help?

If you can afford to rent for a while, that's the way to go.   The RE market is red hot here but as always, there will be a crash.   And that's when I buy properties, not when the market is hot.  

Vic

My home is worth 400k now, I bought in 2012 for 200K. I'm buying a second home in S. Denver close to work. You can still find good stuff for 300-400K.  Itech  don't agree there will be a crash. If you attempt to buy, October-December can be good, people tend not to move over holidays...plan on 25-50k over asking price if North Denver/Broomfield etc. Google is landing, and tech is big money...that's what I do now. Can't beat them, join them...;)

I use Airbnb to rent out my house when I'm gone for work. Being as colorado is such a visited area someone always is looking to stay. Maybe a possibility for you to help combat a higher mortgage or monthly rent. Good luck 🍻

Perhaps further surrounding areas such as Thornton or Broomfield? I'm honestly not sure what the market is like. I sincerely hope you find The One, but you may want to consider giving up something such as a decently timed commute. 

1 hour ago, Violet Lovely said:

Perhaps further surrounding areas such as Thornton or Broomfield? I'm honestly not sure what the market is like. I sincerely hope you find The One, but you may want to consider giving up something such as a decently timed commute. 

Yup drive till you qualify. I looked at a friends home this morning that's being transferred. Built in 2015, mountain views, green belt, and Schweet! 51 miles from downtown Denver, but will be value. Something that's tough to recognize in this market right now.