BadBoy

First Ladies of Rock

33 posts in this topic

HEY, I have really enjoyed the mostly positive vibes on the boards this week, must be the Solstice Effect.  At any rate, I would like to get a discussion going on who is the first lady of rock and roll.  Let's nominate our faves.  Sure, there is Joan Jett, Patty Smith, Pat Benatar, Janis Joplin, the Wilsons, but for my vote it has to be Crissy Hynde, the vocalist, guitarist, song writer, producer, and general muse of Pretenders.  It is her all-around talent that I love, plus her general badass, "I don't give a shit what you think," attitude.  When I realize that nearly everything about Pretenders music popped out of her head, it just makes me hot.  Oh yeah, also, she is still performing at 65, here she is at 60:

And here she is at 63, such a badass babe, her pipes are as good as ever:

2 minutes ago, Admiral C said:

I gotta cast a vote for Stevie Nicks

Then you really oughta like this one:

Pretenders are touring with Stevie this summer.  Get your tickets now. 

Where to start?  Janice Joplin, Grace Slick, Deborah Harry

getting warmed up  Christine McVie  (before Ms. Nicks downgraded the band significantly)

A personal favorite: although perhaps a bit obscure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxXLJUWAzjg

10 minutes ago, Kosinski said:

and you can spell her name lol !!! My bad below.

1 minute ago, gr8owl said:

Where to start?  Janice Joplin, Grace Slick, Deborah Harry

getting warmed up  Christine McVie  (before Ms. Nicks downgraded the band significantly)

A personal favorite: although perhaps a bit obscure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxXLJUWAzjg

you mean she has a song other than Black Velvet? I've always preferred Christine to Stevie myself. It seems like most of the classics have already been covered but I'll add to the list Ann and Nancy Wilson, Annie Lennox, Aimee Mann and Siouxsie Sioux.

6 minutes ago, Lucy Kitten said:

you mean she has a song other than Black Velvet? I've always preferred Christine to Stevie myself. It seems like most of the classics have already been covered but I'll add to the list Ann and Nancy Wilson, Annie Lennox, Aimee Mann and Siouxsie Sioux.

Much much more than Black Velvet:

https://www.google.com/search?q=alannh+myles&rlz=1C1AOHY_enUS708US708&oq=alannh+myles&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.5451j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=alannah+myles+albums&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgFuLUz9U3MMpLtkhXQjC1xLOTrfRzS4szk_UTi0oyi0usEnOSSnOLAYHfXRAxAAAA

Take the best of album for a spin - or any for that matter.  She has an amazing voice and does more than just hard rock.  Kind of a fox too.

What no Patti Smith or Tina Turner?

19 minutes ago, Lucy Kitten said:

another for the road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-grTy_xLxE&list=RDOYHaemYvjo8&index=5

maybe just me, but .....

20 minutes ago, gr8owl said:

Much much more than Black Velvet:

https://www.google.com/search?q=alannh+myles&rlz=1C1AOHY_enUS708US708&oq=alannh+myles&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.5451j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=alannah+myles+albums&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgFuLUz9U3MMpLtkhXQjC1xLOTrfRzS4szk_UTi0oyi0usEnOSSnOLAYHfXRAxAAAA

Take the best of album for a spin - or any for that matter.  She has an amazing voice and does more than just hard rock.  Kind of a fox too.

What no Patti Smith or Tina Turner?

Tina Tuner was missed! But I think someone already said Patti Smith but Susanna Hoff and Belinda Carlisle haven't been mentioned.

She's young but does Haley Williams from Paramore count?

10 minutes ago, Lucy Kitten said:

Tina Tuner was missed! But I think someone already said Patti Smith but Susanna Hoff and Belinda Carlisle haven't been mentioned.

She's young but does Haley Williams from Paramore count?

Potential

Joan Jett, Lucinda Williams, Marshall Chapman, ........... stop me before I listen to tunes all night!.

2 hours ago, Admiral C said:

I gotta cast a vote for Stevie Nicks

My vote as well!

3 hours ago, Gregorysymph said:

Annie Haslam- Renaissance 

Can't really go with QUEEN for her, BUT.......PERSONAL QUEEN? OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Think I will put on Ocean Gypsy

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4GLJCZ5L2sQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shame on you all for forgetting this lovely lady. ;)

Edited by Kosinski

I didn't forget Joni, in fact she was definately my fave for many years (have every album and saw her at Red Rocks), but I went with Chrissy Hynde because she is still rockin' and Joni has turned into a crabby old lady.  In fact Joni taught me never to follow a performer on Facebook, since her crabby old lady rants destroyed entirely the fantasy I had built up in my mind of running off with her to live in a cave in Morocco (which was the inspiration for "Carey").  Also found out that "Carey," whom I had always assumed was a tall, stately Moroccan deserving of Miss Mitchell, was, in fact, a small, hairy, abusive, white guy from New Jersey.  Ruins everything.

End of rant.

I still love Joni.....

Edited by BadBoy

58 minutes ago, BadBoy said:

In fact Joni taught me never to follow a performer on Facebook, since her crabby old lady rants destroyed entirely the fantasy I had built up in my mind of running off with her to live in a cave in Morocco (which was the inspiration for "Carey").  Also found out that "Carey," whom I had always assumed was a tall, stately Moroccan deserving of Miss Mitchell, was, in fact, a small, hairy, abusive, white guy from New Jersey.  Ruins everything.

Ain't that the truth. I don't care to hear a lot of artists' personal views. Just shut up and sing. ;)

I'm going to show my age a little, but how about Mama Cass and Michelle Phillips?

And of course Janis Joplin!  I don't know if she would be ranked among the best, but I love her style.

1 hour ago, ilovewomen said:

And of course Janis Joplin!  I don't know if she would be ranked among the best, but I love her style.

I've never heard anyone sing with more emotion. :D

Excellent movie about her: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073193/

A debate about who the Queen of Rock would be is like a debate on who the best provider may be. I say thank goodness for all of them.

Aw, come on Gregory, don't wuss out with the politically correct reply  - who is your favorite (rocker)? Give us some insights into who you are.

(That is unless you were going to say Katy Perry or Taylor Swift, in which case, you chose the best route.)

What?! No Lita Ford people?!?! For shame!!! She made me want to be a rock legend, but well, we know where I am.

xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

Pat .....

Personal Favorite....

On 6/28/2017 at 6:48 PM, Lucy Kitten said:

Black Velvet was a hit for Alannah Myles.      ...and could you all spell the name right for the  late Janis Joplin

Missed the edit window. 

I never got into Rock, but enjoyed blues & torch singers. Eartha Kitt always tripped my trigger. 

3 hours ago, BadBoy said:

Aw, come on Gregory, don't wuss out with the politically correct reply  - who is your favorite (rocker)? Give us some insights into who you are.

(That is unless you were going to say Katy Perry or Taylor Swift, in which case, you chose the best route.)

Ok, The lady that gives me the most wood lately is Amy Lee of Evanescence