Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vassago

She fought me so I threw her in the basement for 3 weeks

5 posts in this topic

I'm talking about beer people. 

I set out to create a mixed recipe of Breckinridge 471 and Titan IPA. Wanted it high gravity with the hops combo of the Titan. After 4?weeks she tasted like I'd soaked flannel in sawdust and sucked on her. Just god fucking aweful and bitter. I didn't give up on ole girl. I let her condition for a few weeks more.

wasnt too optimistic. But after a full 7 1/2 weeks of fermentation and conditioning that bitter kicking bitch smoothed out to be one of the finest beers I've ever crafted. 

And btw a Colorado wild ale is NOT a lambic so just STOP. Disgusting.

Similar thing happen with a 5 gallon batch of cherry wine I brewed up. Let it ferment, oaked it, bottled it, then tried a bottle 2 months later. It was awful. I forgot about it for a year in the basement. Tried a bottle. Wow! One year made all the difference.

I have a batch of apple jack still sitting on my work bench after 3 years. Tastes like shit.

3 hours ago, Vassago said:

I'm talking about beer people. 

I set out to create a mixed recipe of Breckinridge 471 and Titan IPA. Wanted it high gravity with the hops combo of the Titan. After 4?weeks she tasted like I'd soaked flannel in sawdust and sucked on her. Just god fucking aweful and bitter. I didn't give up on ole girl. I let her condition for a few weeks more.

wasnt too optimistic. But after a full 7 1/2 weeks of fermentation and conditioning that bitter kicking bitch smoothed out to be one of the finest beers I've ever crafted. 

And btw a Colorado wild ale is NOT a lambic so just STOP. Disgusting.

1.) I assume you put "Colorado" in that because lambics technically only come from a specific region in Belgium. Yes?

2.) You're blending IPAs so bitter, not tart like an unblended lambic. Though some lambics are blended, and then there's oude and jonge which is its own thing...

3.) Why is yours a wild ale? Did you intro brett or any other foreign yeast or bacteria?

4.) Lambics often are wild fermentation so they're just left open to allow microbes to enter. Did you do that?

5.) Lambics are also often allowed to intentionally secondary ferment in the bottles. Was that something you tried?

6.) Not all have fruit flavorings. 

7.) I love lambics. They, like all beers have a time and place for enjoyment.

So, why are people calling it a lambic? 

9 hours ago, JoDoe27 said:

1.) I assume you put "Colorado" in that because lambics technically only come from a specific region in Belgium. Yes?

2.) You're blending IPAs so bitter, not tart like an unblended lambic. Though some lambics are blended, and then there's oude and jonge which is its own thing...

3.) Why is yours a wild ale? Did you intro brett or any other foreign yeast or bacteria?

4.) Lambics often are wild fermentation so they're just left open to allow microbes to enter. Did you do that?

5.) Lambics are also often allowed to intentionally secondary ferment in the bottles. Was that something you tried?

6.) Not all have fruit flavorings. 

7.) I love lambics. They, like all beers have a time and place for enjoyment.

So, why are people calling it a lambic? 

Mine was not a wild ale. It was supposed to be a double IPA but came out an ESB right after priming. I thought that I'd just blown 70 bucks on ingredients for a disasterous tasting beer. Later though through long conditioning, the hoppiness mellowed out considerably. So I was pleasantly surprised. It just took a long time to get it there.

The Colorado wild ale comment was when I went into a brewery not too long ago and half the menu were sour beers. When I asked the lady at the counter why, she told me they had a batch of Colorado wild yeast. I later read an article comparing lambics to Colorado wild ales. I was joking about it. And no, I don't think lambics taste anything like CWA's. I actually occasionally enjoy them. Sour beers on the other hand, I have no palate for. I probably should have explained myself better. Sorry for the confusion.

52 minutes ago, Vassago said:

Mine was not a wild ale. It was supposed to be a double IPA but came out an ESB right after priming. I thought that I'd just blown 70 bucks on ingredients for a disasterous tasting beer. Later though through long conditioning, the hoppiness mellowed out considerably. So I was pleasantly surprised. It just took a long time to get it there.

The Colorado wild ale comment was when I went into a brewery not too long ago and half the menu were sour beers. When I asked the lady at the counter why, she told me they had a batch of Colorado wild yeast. I later read an article comparing lambics to Colorado wild ales. I was joking about it. And no, I don't think lambics taste anything like CWA's. I actually occasionally enjoy them. Sour beers on the other hand, I have no palate for. I probably should have explained myself better. Sorry for the confusion.

I"m actually impressed you managed to salvage that beer, and really had the patience to let it do it's thing. 

I thought you were doing something extra strange with your yeasts/bacteria with the lambic comment so it threw me off. As for sours, they range in pucker intensity and flavor that you might be able to find something in there but it can be tough. I'd almost say start with a flanders red ale (Jacobins Rouge or Duchess) and work your way into a full blown sour (Crooked Stave Nightmare on Brett with Raspberries if you can find it). Either way, good luck!