Ariel Amazing

Scenic Drives & Historical Sites?

19 posts in this topic

Hi guys!

Im lookin for some local recommendations on scenic drives and cool historical stuff to see around here? 

Much appreciated!!

Ariel :)

Red Rocks, Central City, Estes Park, Trail Ridge Road, Garden of the Gods, Hog Back, Indian Ruins, oh Mercy there's really a bunch.

Miles upon miles of scenic drives. Colorado loves it's history too! You can visit the Colorado History Museum, Molly Brown House, Byers-Evans Mansion, the mint, the Gilpin County Museum in Central City, Baby Doe's cabin and the Matchless Mine, there is a nightclub downtown that used to be the brothel of our well known Madam Mattie Silks, the Sand Creek Massacre site. No lack of scenery or history in Colorado, it's what we're most proud of!

The Royal Gorge is really neat, and there is an old Women's Prison Museum in Canon City that is worth the trip.

Stanley Hotel Estes Park, the story and movie The Shining is a part of it.

Stanley Hotel in Estes Park. The Shining was filmed there. Hotel Colorado in Glenwood is supposed to be hunted as well.

I agree with Estes Park and Trail Ridge Road.  You'll love it.

3 hours ago, Adriana Caliste said:

Stanley Hotel in Estes Park. The Shining was filmed there. Hotel Colorado in Glenwood is supposed to be hunted as well.

Not to be that guy, but, the re-make/made-for-tv version of "The Shining" was shot at The Stanley. The Stanley was the influence for King. 

The movie version of "The Shining" used the lodge on Mt. Hood for exteriors.

As for haunting,well Colorado has plenty of nationally known spooks.  The above mentioned haunts named by other posters here. And a couple I will bring up. The hotel in Fairplay is said to have a ghostie or two. And just outside of Evergreen at the Brookforest Inn(and old stone hunting lodge)  is said to have few hauntings. Including a bartender I once knew and liked.  In the metro area there is Cheeseman Park. Which at one time was a mid 1800's Denver cemetery.  After the place had ran out of space, our local government decided to remove the bodies in the cemetary and turn it into a city park. To make a long story short- those who were contracted to do this removal were not honest. So not all were disinterred. Hence it is said they are haunting the park. 

Our Mattie Silks and another local red light district madam, (Maggie's friend)Jeannie Rogers are buried out at Fairmount cemetery along with a few other pioneer notables.  I go out there a couple times a year a share a drop of a favorite libation and place a few flowers on Mattie and Jeannie's resting places. It is cool to do and I think the ol' gals would appreciate the thoughts. 

Idaho Springs and Georgetown have awesome old cemeteries if your into that kind of thing.  

So if you want history your in the right place. Enjoy yourself. 

Edited by Jez UaBriain

1 hour ago, Jez UaBriain said:

As for haunting,well Colorado has plenty of nationally known spooks.  The above mentioned haunts named by other posters here. And a couple I will bring up. The hotel in Fairplay is said to have a ghostie or two. And just outside of Evergreen at the Brookforest Inn(and old stone hunting lodge)  is said to have few hauntings. Including a bartender I once knew and liked.  In the metro area there is Cheeseman Park. Which at one time was a mid 1800's Denver cemetery.  After the place had ran out of space, our local government decided to remove the bodies in the cemetary and turn it into a city park. To make a long story short- those who were contracted to do this removal were not honest. So not all were disinterred. Hence it is said they are haunting the park. 

Our Mattie Silks and another local red light district madam, (Maggie's friend)Jeannie Rogers are buried out at Fairmount cemetery along with a few other pioneer notables.  I go out there a couple times a year a share a drop of a favorite libation and place a few flowers on Mattie and Jeannie's resting places. It is cool to do and I think the ol' gals would appreciate the thoughts. 

Idaho Springs and Georgetown have awesome old cemeteries if your into that kind of thing.  

So if you want history your in the right place. Enjoy yourself. 

Thanks Jez I've lived here for a LOT of years and had no idea how many potentially historical sites there were!

Kind out of an out of the way place the Hand Hotel in Fairplay, CO is supposedly haunted. I have stayed there a  lot and not had any "experiences" but I do not think I am the most "open" to that type of thing. I had a dog who would sleep like a log everyplace else but could never settle down there and paced all night. Also, had a friend who is a plumber who worked their once, had an "experience" and never wanted to work their again. Do not remember the story. Nice out of the way place. No TV, WIFI great fireplace and breakfast.

14 hours ago, NoCoGeezer said:

Not to be that guy, but, the re-make/made-for-tv version of "The Shining" was shot at The Stanley. The Stanley was the influence for King. 

LOL sometimes I think you have to be that guy to save people some disappointment. They have the movie in their heads and the actual Stanley doesn't match the imagination. But our very own Bertha Lynn is in The Shining so it's not totally void of Colorado touches.

Mesa Verde, Cripple Creek...chances are I am just echoing the same places that have already been accounted for. We all could be travel guides.😎😎

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 5:02 PM, NoCoGeezer said:

On the other hand, the "Aspen" hotel in Dumb and Dumber  was actually the Stanley.  Oh, crap, what did I just reveal about myself?

24 minutes ago, BadBoy said:

On the other hand, the "Aspen" hotel in Dumb and Dumber  was actually the Stanley.  Oh, crap, what did I just reveal about myself?

I feel Dumberer for not realizing that. I have only watched that movie like a hundred times.

A good walk through is Cheesman park. It was a cemetery in 1858.

I have herd some crazy stories about that park.