gr8owl

Doesn't seem that long ago, he thought ........

22 posts in this topic

Siouxsie Sioux turned 60 yesterday!  This is from 78 but might as well be the 80s, Siouxsie and the Banshees definitely influenced some trends and some huge bands like The Cure.

1 hour ago, boink36 said:

From the 80's the Rainbow Music Hall. I saw Journey there in 1979.........................................

https://history.denverlibrary.org/news/rainbow-music-hall-remembering-legendary-denver-concert-venue

Rarely missed a concert at the Rainbow !!  Before it opened, was at about every show at Ebbets Field.

1 hour ago, boink36 said:

From the 80's the Rainbow Music Hall. I saw Journey there in 1979.........................................

https://history.denverlibrary.org/news/rainbow-music-hall-remembering-legendary-denver-concert-venue

The Rainbow was a great place to see a show, not a bad seat in the house. I saw The Pretenders, Gentle Giant, Dixie Dregs, Stanley Clarke, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band just to name a few that I saw there. I even played there I think it was 1985 in a band called Puppeteer opening up for Rough Cutt (Wendy Dio was their manager). I remember they called us in the afternoon asking us if we could do the show that nite.

22 minutes ago, Admiral C said:

and this is what this thread reminds me of

Just because one recalls memorable and happy times does not mean one is stuck in a somber "Glory Days" lament.  Just perspective.  I recall the good times while insistently believing the future holds even better.  Love it when people wonder why I have that stupid grin on my face. (hint: it is not from ruminating about a glorious past, but from enjoying the present and anticipating the wonders yet found)

22 hours ago, Gregorysymph said:

The Rainbow was a great place to see a show, not a bad seat in the house. I saw The Pretenders, Gentle Giant, Dixie Dregs, Stanley Clarke, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band just to name a few that I saw there. I even played there I think it was 1985 in a band called Puppeteer opening up for Rough Cutt (Wendy Dio was their manager). I remember they called us in the afternoon asking us if we could do the show that nite.

Saw those same shows...the Rainbow was great...unless you were stuck behind a post. ( somehow avoided that )

23 hours ago, pfunk said:

I watched a LOT of MTV in the 80's.  :P

Ahh..the 80's..spent most of it as a DJ at Shot Gun Willies,Dandy Dans,Uncle Grumpys (Boulder ) ,Cheerleaders and lastly, Saturdays. Played a lot of great music ,most of it were requests  of songs played on MTV.   Worked the day shift ( noon -7 ) ,which allowed tons of time to see concerts and attend  Oyster events. 

1 hour ago, Admiral C said:

and this is what this thread reminds me of

The Boss is all about nostalgia for cars, New Jersey, factories and women named Mary. If you were in your prime in the 80s, young and having fun then that is of course the era you get all mushy about. I don't care much for the year 2005 but I was in my 20s and having tons of fun so I will eventually look back fondly on what was like all others kind of an awkward time for fashion.

Glory Days is catchy but 80s bolo tie wearing Bruce is not my favorite. He still wont ditch the bolo ties!

OK, any of you gushing old timers remember The Family Dog?  That was Barry Fey's first venue and really a great dive to see good music in.  I liked the Rainbow Music Hall, Tulagi's, Ebbetts Field, Red Rocks, all of them, but it all began in the Dog.  Barry was my next-door-neighbor for a few years and the tales he told of the early days would curl your ears (they didn't make it into his book).

And of course there was the legendary Bruce Springsteen 4-hour concert in the Glen Miller Ballroom at CU, where you could drink beer and dance right at the Boss's feet, just before he broke into the big time.  Great show, Clarence was hot, hot, hot.

I was at work today and this song popped into my head, I was 18 when this one was released............................

2 hours ago, BadBoy said:

OK, any of you gushing old timers remember The Family Dog?  That was Barry Fey's first venue and really a great dive to see good music in.  I liked the Rainbow Music Hall, Tulagi's, Ebbetts Field, Red Rocks, all of them, but it all began in the Dog.  Barry was my next-door-neighbor for a few years and the tales he told of the early days would curl your ears (they didn't make it into his book).

And of course there was the legendary Bruce Springsteen 4-hour concert in the Glen Miller Ballroom at CU, where you could drink beer and dance right at the Boss's feet, just before he broke into the big time.  Great show, Clarence was hot, hot, hot.

I think it was at a JJ Cale show at the Rainbow around 1981. Between bands the line to the urinal was long, but some biker just strolled up to the sink and unloaded whilst cracking jokes.

Saw the Ramones and the Runaways at Ebbets Field in 78 or 79. Tried to catch Cherry's eye but she was East coast cool.

Memories!

Ebbets Field - named after the famed Brooklyn Dodgers ballpark, was a small club in the early to late 70's located on 1020 15th street in Denver Colorado. It held 238 people which made for an intimate setting between performer and audience.The stage faced bleacher type seating which resembled seating at a sports venue. It was tiny; you could literally touch the band from the front row. My favorite venue of all time. Some of the performers I saw at there.

Brian Auger & The Oblivion Express

Freddie King May 27th 1974

Leo Kottke 1975

Kraftwerk May 20th 1975

Moby Grape May 8th 1974

Spirit: October 30th 1974

Sugerloaf: January 15th 1975

Thanks guy you're helping me feel not as old, my first concert was Phil Collins at Fiddler's Green in the 90s

April 1970 at the DU Arena first concert - The Doors

June 1970 at the lovely Mammoth Gardens - The Who

Over next few years at Tulagi's  aka The Tule - Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZ Top, Butterfield Blues Band, Joe Walsh, Bonnie Raitt, John Lee Hooker and many, many more I am forgetting. (As they used to say - If you remember the '70's you weren't there)

On 6/2/2017 at 8:18 AM, gr8owl said:

April 1970 at the DU Arena first concert - The Doors

June 1970 at the lovely Mammoth Gardens - The Who

Over next few years at Tulagi's  aka The Tule - Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZ Top, Butterfield Blues Band, Joe Walsh, Bonnie Raitt, John Lee Hooker and many, many more I am forgetting. (As they used to say - If you remember the '70's you weren't there)

Love the 70's no better music in my own opinion!  

The 80's was a blur for me. Graduate high school, college, and first child during that decade. I had tons of cassettes Blondie, Foreigner,  Men at Work, Asia, Toto, Rush...you name it. Shoe boxes full! Pink Floyd. Ohh but my heart belongs in the 70's! Yes!!! lol