Ginger Doll

Fun things to do in Denver?

51 posts in this topic

Hi there! I've never been to Colorado and I'm curious about the local attractions, great restaurants and best areas to stay in!

I'm particularly interested in recommendations for snow tubing.  I've visited a couple of the websites and it's definitely something that I want to try soon.

All feedback is greatly appreciated, both ladies and gents!

4 hours ago, Ginger Doll said:

Hi there! I've never been to Colorado and I'm curious about the local attractions, great restaurants and best areas to stay in!

I'm particularly interested in recommendations for snow tubing.  I've visited a couple of the websites and it's definitely something that I want to try soon.

http://www.frasertubinghill.com/   :)

Ginger, I think you are a little late for snow  tubing.  It is nearly June.  But if you stick around till next winter, I definitely second Boink's suggestion of the Fraser Tubing Hill.  In the meantime, use your tube in the South Platte: throw in at the campground a couple miles above Deckers and have the ride of your life till you take out at one of the highway bridges.  You can use the same tube.

Signing off as "two uses for the tube" BadBoy.

I guess I've always thought that skiing and snow tubing were year round in Colorado??  I thought they manufactured snow. Don't fault me for my lack of knowledge, signed the Arkansas girl... lol

7 minutes ago, Ginger Doll said:

I guess I've always thought that skiing and snow tubing were year round in Colorado??  I thought they manufactured snow. Don't fault me for my lack of knowledge, signed the Arkansas girl... lol

I saw Arkansas on TV once. :D

15 minutes ago, boink36 said:

I saw Arkansas on TV once. :D

I guess neither one of us should believe what we see on TV…. No snow in Colorado in summertime, and I actually have a really great full set of teeth. ;) 

PS, how do I empower the rest of my little emojis?

Edited by Ginger Doll

Also, I'm Arkansas and my neck isn't red...the rest of my skin is, though.

Honestly, thanks to the snow late last week there is still plenty of snow left in the mountains. And is some parts of the state, snow does stay on the mountains year round. You just gotta be adventurous enough to hike near 14,000 feet. Kill 2 birds with one stone. Hike a 14er and snow tube. It doesn't get any better than that

The last time I was in Colorado was back in 2000...it was hot...or was that Oklahoma?

Anyway, I'm sure Ginger and I can find something interesting to do in Denver

Hello, my fellow Arkansan! I moved out here from Fayetteville and while there are some differences it's actually fairly similar to NWA. Think Fayetteville = Boulder and Denver = Bentonville both connected by 36 which is like 540 (I know the name has changed but I don't know the new name off the top of my head). 

You'll love it out here though. I can say the food is different so just a warning there. 

3 hours ago, Juanmotai said:

Honestly, thanks to the snow late last week there is still plenty of snow left in the mountains. And is some parts of the state, snow does stay on the mountains year round. You just gotta be adventurous enough to hike near 14,000 feet. Kill 2 birds with one stone. Hike a 14er and snow tube. It doesn't get any better than that

Back 8 years ago when I moved to Colorado I was freaked to know it could snow in July...Now that's just crazy...

Since I can't edit my last comment I will say no matter what you find yourself getting into stay hydrated. It's dry as hell out here, and not drinking enough water can lead to a not fun experience. 

1 hour ago, JoDoe27 said:

Hello, my fellow Arkansan! I moved out here from Fayetteville and while there are some differences it's actually fairly similar to NWA. Think Fayetteville = Boulder and Denver = Bentonville both connected by 36 which is like 540 (I know the name has changed but I don't know the new name off the top of my head). 

You'll love it out here though. I can say the food is different so just a warning there. 

Well, that is too cool!  I'm in Bentonville. I wonder if we've ever met? Did you hobby in NWA?  PS, it was 49 and now it's 540. 

I can't wait to try the food!  Experiencing unique local fare is one of my favorite things to do when traveling.

Edited by Ginger Doll

1 hour ago, JoDoe27 said:

Since I can't edit my last comment I will say no matter what you find yourself getting into stay hydrated. It's dry as hell out here, and not drinking enough water can lead to a not fun experience. 

Thanks for the tip!  I appreciate it. :)

53 minutes ago, SabrinaLynn said:

Or you could always stay in and enjoy the AC Activities.  Lol Hint hint

I like the way you think! :D

Very nice assets, as well. ;)

Question – is there a way to multi-quote? I feel bad that I have three replies in a row but I wanted to address everyone.

Edited by Ginger Doll

1 hour ago, Ginger Doll said:

Question – is there a way to multi-quote? I feel bad that I have three replies in a row but I wanted to address everyone.

screenshot-theotherboard.com 2017-05-23 01-04-20.jpg

14 hours ago, Ginger Doll said:

Too late for snow tubing,but you are just in time for the summer concert season. 

Thought I'd jump on this since I had a similar question. 

I'll be staying in the DTC this weekend.  Any bars or restaurants in that are you guys recommend?  Any places with good bourbon selections?

6 hours ago, Ginger Doll said:

Well, that is too cool!  I'm in Bentonville. I wonder if we've ever met? Did you hobby in NWA?  PS, it was 49 and now it's 540. 

I can't wait to try the food!  Experiencing unique local fare is one of my favorite things to do when traveling.

I did and we have not. I'd just stepped into this world before moving to CO. 

4 hours ago, mrfunontheside said:

Thought I'd jump on this since I had a similar question. 

I'll be staying in the DTC this weekend.  Any bars or restaurants in that are you guys recommend?  Any places with good bourbon selections?

You can throw a rock and hit five places in the Denver metro area that have great food and an awesome liquor selection. What are your preferences? Do you like fine dining, pub style, modern and trendy?

Anyone coming to Colorado I always suggest My Brother's Bar, it's Denver's oldest bar and they serve up simple but delish burgers in an awesome atmosphere.

1 hour ago, Lucy Kitten said:

You can throw a rock and hit five places in the Denver metro area that have great food and an awesome liquor selection. What are your preferences? Do you like fine dining, pub style, modern and trendy?

Anyone coming to Colorado I always suggest My Brother's Bar, it's Denver's oldest bar and they serve up simple but delish burgers in an awesome atmosphere.

My Brothers Bar is a great recommendation...burgers, beer and classical music all in an eclectic atmosphere.

Also try Machete on Wynkoop across from Union Station...Tacos and Tequila...great combination.

I've also heard people rave about Cherry Cricket in Cherry Creek...I've have not been there personally.

Close to Denver, I always tell visitors to go hike Red Rocks or even better yet, take in a concert at Red Rocks.  Other close places to go to is Boulder and Flagstaff Mountain and of course Estes Park and the Stanley Hotel.

One thing to remember while here...drink water, drink water, drink water and when you aren't thirsty...drink more water.  It will prevent headaches and cramps.

42 minutes ago, ilovewomen said:

My Brothers Bar is a great recommendation...burgers, beer and classical music all in an eclectic atmosphere.

Also try Machete on Wynkoop across from Union Station...Tacos and Tequila...great combination.

I've also heard people rave about Cherry Cricket in Cherry Creek...I've have not been there personally.

Close to Denver, I always tell visitors to go hike Red Rocks or even better yet, take in a concert at Red Rocks.  Other close places to go to is Boulder and Flagstaff Mountain and of course Estes Park and the Stanley Hotel.

One thing to remember while here...drink water, drink water, drink water and when you aren't thirsty...drink more water.  It will prevent headaches and cramps.

Sweet. Thanks for the recommendations!  Last time I was there, the altitude got to me, so I'll try to stop that from happening again.

I'll check out My Brothers Bar.  I also like bars with a good bourbon selection - always had a weakness for the best part of Kentucky.

Now my next challenge will be to find someone awesome who's a bit newbie friendly, haha.  Been living overseas for work for a while so my references are a bit out of date.

Thanks for the help guys!

18 minutes ago, bettercallsaul said:

I agree with My Brothers Bar.  I'd skip Cherry Cricket- it's ok.  Aspen and A-Basin are open this weekend if you want to get a little skiing in. Oh, and drink lots of beer.  We have the best micro brews in the country.

I have a weakness for the Cherry Cricket, when they get it right it's the best damn burger you've ever had but that only happens like once out of every ten visits. It does have it's charms though and it's a great location I would still recommend.

5 hours ago, Lucy Kitten said:

... Anyone coming to Colorado I always suggest My Brother's Bar, it's Denver's oldest bar and they serve up simple but delish burgers in an awesome atmosphere.

But the Buckhorn Exchange (10th & Osage) has liquor license #1 (post-prohibition). It also has an awesome game menu. 

If you're thinking about snow tubing, several of the ski areas have awesome summer activities available including alpine slides which (IMNHO) are one of the funnest things to do in the mountains!

I like the AC activities.  Daty all day please. Sometimes you have to call a service guy over and get things fixed up.

00r0r_aNp2GRYHamn_600x450[1].jpg

15 minutes ago, javajunkie said:

I like the AC activities.  Daty all day please. Sometimes you have to call a service guy over and get things fixed up.

00r0r_aNp2GRYHamn_600x450[1].jpg

How would I have to answer the door? Soaking wet from a shower dressed in a towel? Fully clothed? Nothing?