gr8owl

reference psa and rant

17 posts in this topic

This is in regard only to the "reference" feature on this board that operates as the equivalent of an OK on p411.

I recently noticed I was given a reference by a lady I do not know, have never contacted or seen, and have certainly never asked for a reference from.  I THOUGHT a lady could only give a reference here in response to a request for one.  Apparently this is not the case.  If not, why not??  

So, first for mods - please consider changing system to only allow references of the "OK" type if they are actually requested through the system. (Or if as I have thought all along, this is not possible - then how did it happen??)

Second for ladies out there.  Please do not give a reference to someone that has not asked you for one THROUGH THE SYSTEM.  If you have set an appointment with someone claiming to be "gr8owl" and the request for appointment did not come through this board via pm or through p411 via appointment request you have no idea who the hell you are seeing, but it is NOT me.  And if whoever you do see asks for a reference ok other than through the system, that too is not me.  You are putting yourself at risk AND encouraging ass hats to claim to be some well established member here to get around your screening.  Please do not f**k up the system.

Rant over and have a good day. :)

I don't wanna click anything @gr8owl but when I look at your profile and the advertising/review side of the site there is a button under view forum stats that says give reference and it may have just been someone viewing your profile that clicked it by mistake.

39 minutes ago, Lucy Kitten said:

I don't wanna click anything @gr8owl but when I look at your profile and the advertising/review side of the site there is a button under view forum stats that says give reference and it may have just been someone viewing your profile that clicked it by mistake.

Thanks for looking Lucy.  Not sure what you mean by "advertising/review side" ???  However, assuming what you describe is not unique to my profile (which would be a whole other can o worms) it just reinforces my suggestion to mods to tweek the system.  References should not be able to be given by accident or mistake lol!!

Lets be optimistic. Perhaps the YL made a simple mistake and entered your handle by mistake instead of one closely resembling yours.

Perhaps someone was endeared with your posting and simply likes you?

You may be totally right in your first impression but mistakes do happen.

For example, I was given an OK on my P411 account years ago from a lady in Texas I had never seen.  When I brought this up with the owner of P411,  she said you must have just forgot seeing her. Not likely.   I have no idea why it showed up on my account but it amounted to nothing.

42 minutes ago, gr8owl said:

Thanks for looking Lucy.  Not sure what you mean by "advertising/review side" ???  However, assuming what you describe is not unique to my profile (which would be a whole other can o worms) it just reinforces my suggestion to mods to tweek the system.  References should not be able to be given by accident or mistake lol!!

Advertising/review side means signed up with a provider account, they'll see some different features than the rest of us.

Wahhhhh, I don't even have 1 ref on TOB. Actually had one and deleted it. Never asked for it but got it anyway. I understand how to use the Okay system on P411, including how to update. I've never delved into the system here. But based on your knowledge probably would if similar to P411. I don't even know how to request a ref here.

Perfect timing. I looked at my account earlier and found a reference from a provider I've never seen or have had any kind of contact with.. Weird!!

You guys who have written reviews all have reviewer profiles that are inaccessible from the forum side of things. I just searched your and clicked on your name to see what it says  in the review section. . I would guess that clients can see the same things minus the GIVE REFERENCE button.

https://theotherboard.com/users/102272

Thank you for the feedback, we are looking into this now. This appears to be a bug:(

On 4/2/2017 at 2:00 PM, gr8owl said:

How many times did you use the "contact us" link at the bottom of any forum page to report this problem?

4 hours ago, boink36 said:

How many times did you use the "contact us" link at the bottom of any forum page to report this problem?

Link at bottom of page - never paid any attention to bottom of page. (sound of being sent to room)

Contact - i am thinking of a number between 1 and 5. Perhaps one too few 😎

6 hours ago, boink36 said:

"Contact us"? I thought we were just supposed to rant about it in the open forum. OH WAIT!!!! There it is.........stupid phone...😛

It is more cathartic to rant in public than contact a mod.  Just not the same.

20 hours ago, boink36 said:

I will have to take culpability on this one  gr8owl PM'd me & I didn't get back to him soon enough. was researching the issue  forgot to reply to his PM.

I have a reference rant!

As always I provide references but it annoys the hell out of me when a gentleman uses me repeatedly for a reference they need to use whom they have met recently! 

What is the deal with using a lady for a reference that you have not seen in over a year? 

If I see you on the regular basis of course I am good with providing a reference. 

RECENT references are what providers prefer.

Rant over!