fishndude57

OK Computer Braniacs...

17 posts in this topic

Sometimes I'm so stoopid. I forgot my password on Windows 10 laptop. Fortunately I had created a local account on it so can bring up the system, but I want to reset the password on my Microsoft account. What's the shortcut for burning the fix to a USB and then what? Because I can now bring up the system, I can acces from my local account, or I also have a functioning Windows 7 laptop too. Geek Squad got me this far but don't do Windows account password resets. This is proving to be somewhat brain damaging. Any help appreciated. 

Signed,

It Sucks Getting Old

Didn't you set up a recovery account or questions?

Requires password recovery disc or USB. I probably did but I've moved 2x since. No idea what box in storage that stuff is in. All indicators point to should be able to download the fix from windows, too many white sheets, lookin for proper direction which one. 

I think there's 2 separate things.  The recovery disk mostly covers how you'd be able to recover from local accounts password loss only.  The online method, you do by logging into the local account, open the password reset through a web browser, and reset your Microsoft account password.  Then you go back in to log in through your normal login linked to the online account, and just use the new password you just reset.  Unless I'm misunderstanding, which would make sense, sinc Microsoft has been making things more difficult than they should...

6 minutes ago, FuriousWeasel said:

Unless I'm misunderstanding, which would make sense, sinc Microsoft has been making things more difficult than they should...

Yup, this is a feature to 10, GS blew away the MS7 passwords easily. I'm keeping that laptop, and giving away 10, All Apple all day everyday from here on out. I'll still be able to use all my spreadsheets and word docs in Apple anyway. My iPad already does that for me, and as I've already paid for the apps I should be able to install them. I'll look at your link...thanks!

Same here, I use macs primarily anymore, but on my PCs, I put on Linux Mint because it's just rather nice to use...

"We'll have to wipe the hard drive & re-load the operating system."

That just seems to be the standard answer for today's software techs. 

(This answer is tongue-in-cheek for the OP, but serious for the Geek Squad types among us.)

7 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

"We'll have to wipe the hard drive & re-load the operating system."

That just seems to be the standard answer for today's software techs. 

(This answer is tongue-in-cheek for the OP, but serious for the Geek Squad types among us.)

That's a valid answer to some problems.  However, the trick to be a great IT guy is to know when it's the correct answer and when it isn't.

1 hour ago, FuriousWeasel said:

the trick to be a great IT guy is to know when it's the correct answer and when it isn't.

Another trick is to stay out of the engineer's way. If I have to tell IT one more time about how the awful anti virus software they chose screws with source control and other programming tools which is why I disabled it I am going to cut their balls off... Luckily for IT guys I don't program anymore c:

Just now, TSAlottaDignity said:

Another trick is to stay out of the engineer's way. If I have to tell IT one more time about how the awful anti virus software they chose screws with source control and other programming tools which is why I disabled it I am going to cut their balls off... Luckily for IT guys I don't program anymore c:

Castration seems a harsh punishment for non-compliance and a detriment to retaining repeat customers IMHO but then again, I'm not the computer engineer, either!

3 minutes ago, TSAlottaDignity said:

Darn tootin'.  Almost all AV solutions are crap.  The info sec folks are among the worst though.

Want to know if any particular info sec guy is good or bad?  Ask them their preferred password policy.  If they say complex passwords, change regularly, etc., I'm not saying laugh directly in their face, but ...

11 minutes ago, MrBigShot said:

Castration seems a harsh punishment for non-compliance and a detriment to retaining repeat customers IMHO but then again, I'm not the computer engineer, either!

There's just something about working very technically with computers all day that brings out the crazy in otherwise sane and rational people. You wouldn't understand :P