Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lucy Kitten

And The Oscar Goes To........

53 posts in this topic

Not that this conversation isn't enlightening and all but do any of you fools actually watch movies?????????

giphy.gif

The US has approximately 325.5 million people. Of those, about three eights are seniors, disabled or children.....about 122 million. That makes for 203.43 million working age people.  93 million of those people do NOT have a job. That's 45.7%. The 53.3% of us who DO have a job, pay fopr everything. OK...granted, the 93 million working age people without jobs includes voluntary stay at home moms oand dads...HOWEVER. Looking at those REAL number....do you really think we need MORE PEOPLE from ANYWHERE? Who's going to feed, clothe, house, educate, employ them?  Every nation on Earth has limits to its resources......and you cannot just add unlimited people without drastic reductions. But...maybe that wealthiest 2-10% that Sanders talked about will take care of them all..........

6 minutes ago, Lucy Kitten said:

Not that this conversation isn't enlightening and all but do any of you fools actually watch movies?????????

giphy.gif

Yep, this fool watches a lot of movies. I guess I'm a little different though. A lot of the movies that win these awards every year are not movies I'm really interested in seeing. I'm more of an action adventure kind of guy. I don't really critique the performances of the actors/actresses after watching a movie like a lot of people do. If I was entertained then I'm good!

Admiral, your point is well taken, except that the 53.3% (your figure, but I will accept it) is shrinking as a percent of the population and if we are to survive, we need younger working people to take their place.  White folks, for whatever reason, aren't having babies, and like most industrial countries, we rely upon immigrants to work 2 or 3 jobs and produce children in order to support the aging, mostly white, population.  Any actual research bears out the fact that immigrants contribute far more to the economy than they consume.  In California, over the past 10 years, over 80% of small businesses were started by immigrants.

And the point remains, we are all immigrants.

5 hours ago, Melissa Sterling said:

First of all it's PRESIDENT Trump. I never called President Obama Mr. It's disrespectful. Didn't like President Barack Obama in any way, but he was the President of my country and i respected it. Respect it for what it is even if you don't like it. 

I turned it off after the red carpet. Their political views bore me and weren't they all moving out of the country. Oh that's right, they wouldn't make as much money. So much for that. Shut up and sing, shut up and act. Just plain shut up! Most of them do not have a clue what their talking about. 

Sorry this is weird to me. Just because you may not like what they're saying doesn't mean they don't know what they're talking about.

It would be like someone telling us to shut up because our job is to fuck and we should just do that. I would assume that you wouldn't like someone telling you that would you? I wouldn't.

Bitching about Hollywood using their platform while you use your platform is hypocrisy. We may not make millions but every time we use this platform to spew our beliefs we're doing the same thing.

16 minutes ago, Lucy Kitten said:

giphy.gif

Indeed I do! My Plex server collection is magnificent. 

6 minutes ago, H2Opieluver said:

Yep, this fool watches a lot of movies. I guess I'm a little different though. A lot of the movies that win these awards every year are not movies I'm really interested in seeing. I'm more of an action adventure kind of guy. I don't really critique the performances of the actors/actresses after watching a movie like a lot of people do. If I was entertained then I'm good!

Well then maybe make commentary on only movies or move on? If y'all want to talk politics then start another politics thread.

This turned into a bigger discussion than needed and it's partially your fault. Sorry Hollywood doesn't align with your politics but that wasn't question.

1 minute ago, Lucy Kitten said:

Well then maybe make commentary on only movies or move on? If y'all want to talk politics then start another politics thread.

This turned into a bigger discussion than needed and it's partially your fault. Sorry Hollywood doesn't align with your politics but that wasn't question.

Excuse the hell out of me miss Kitten, but your original post asked if anyone else watched the Oscars. I said nope and proceeded to give my reason why. A few others pounced on that and changed the direction of the thread. Sorry we pissed in your cornflakes.

2 minutes ago, H2Opieluver said:

Excuse the hell out of me miss Kitten, but your original post asked if anyone else watched the Oscars. I said nope and proceeded to give my reason why. A few others pounced on that and changed the direction of the thread. Sorry we pissed in your cornflakes.

It's just funny the opinions that are shared when they weren't asked for. And how people continue to derail because of those darn Hollywood liberals and their crazy activism. I think you first reply was that award shows had become too political, that's patently false. Hollywood and politics have been, since the creation of Hollywood, very closely intertwined. The Oscars have been historically political and it's just business as usual.

If anyone wanted to have a real conversation about Hollywood and politics we would have but it seems that real objective for those who didn't watch was to piss in the collective cheerios and make their opinion heard. It would have been just as easy to skip the conversation.

1 minute ago, Lucy Kitten said:

It's just funny the opinions that are shared when they weren't asked for. And how people continue to derail because of those darn Hollywood liberals and their crazy activism. I think you first reply was that award shows had become too political, that's patently false. Hollywood and politics have been, since the creation of Hollywood, very closely intertwined. The Oscars have been historically political and it's just business as usual.

If anyone wanted to have a real conversation about Hollywood and politics we would have but it seems that real objective for those who didn't watch was to piss in the collective cheerios and make their opinion heard. It would have been just as easy to skip the conversation.

I will agree with on that last line of this post for sure. I should definitely have skipped your post and will skip all of yours from now on. 

I find it funny that you scold me for my political comments yet exactly 8 min. Prior to scolding me, you had a rebuttal to Melissa doing the exact same thing that I was doing. 

Can't have it both ways Kitty cat. Either stay on point with your own post or don't scold others for straying off topic.

3 hours ago, JoDoe27 said:

Then I don't fully understand your argument, and also don't want to go around in circles about. An immigrant is technically a person who comes from one country to another and permanently lives in that new country. Strip away any negative connotation associated with the word "immigrant" and he's not wrong. 

Who said there was a negative connotation to the word "immigrant"?

Yeah, 14000 years ago people "migrated" not "immigrated". There were no countries, boarders or civilizations. 

Edited by bluesbroker

And I ruin a perfectly good post by spelling "borders" wrong. You get the idea.

I saw Lion, La La Land, Fences and Hidden Figures and honestly, none of them blew me away. Some great acting performances but overall I was kind of disappointed. I'm looking forward to seeing Moonlight soon....and maybe Arrival.

Edited by bluesbroker

9 minutes ago, bluesbroker said:

I saw Lion, La La Land, Fences and Hidden Figures and honestly, none of them blew me away. Some great acting performances but overall I was kind of disappointed. I'm looking forward to seeing Moonlight soon....and maybe Arrival.

Agreed. I haven't seen Moonlight yet though. Arrival was good but not great to me. I loved it because of the sci-fi/Alien aspect and a very real question that often arises when the talk of alien life and first contact come in the fray. I'd say see it for sure though. 

I saw Fences last week. I've seen several August Wilson plays at the DCPA. This was yet another example of his wonderful story telling, woven with complex issues of the time. Ms. Davis indeed turned in a powerful performance. 

13 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

I saw Fences last week. I've seen several August Wilson plays at the DCPA. This was yet another example of his wonderful story telling, woven with complex issues of the time. Ms. Davis indeed turned in a powerful performance. 

This is a petty and personal gripe but I had a hard time enjoying Fences because Troy (Denzel W.) reminded me of my old man. Never cared for him much...my old man, not Denzel, he was very good.

43 minutes ago, JoDoe27 said:

Agreed. I haven't seen Moonlight yet though. Arrival was good but not great to me. I loved it because of the sci-fi/Alien aspect and a very real question that often arises when the talk of alien life and first contact come in the fray. I'd say see it for sure though. 

I won't miss Arrival, I have a serious crush on Amy Adams...so pathetic at my age

24 minutes ago, bluesbroker said:

I won't miss Arrival, I have a serious crush on Amy Adams...so pathetic at my age

I think she played the part well but she's just not that impressive of an actress to me. I felt her lines were slightly forced or even a little scripted, but I'm glad she got a leading role. The ending wasn't necessarily original but an updated look at choices and consequences. What's funny is amongst my friend group we're fairly divided on what we'd do and the ethical repercussions of her choices. 

Edited by JoDoe27

2 hours ago, bluesbroker said:

I didn't see Moonlight but I did see Arrival and really enjoyed it. It was definitely not what I expected, plot wise 

6 hours ago, bluesbroker said:

This is a petty and personal gripe but I had a hard time enjoying Fences because Troy (Denzel W.) reminded me of my old man. Never cared for him much...my old man, not Denzel, he was very good.

There were parts of Troy which reminded me of my Dad as well (hard work ethic), others not (abuse, philandry). I think much of it was the times in which they lived. 

22 hours ago, JRWolfe said:

You need to do your homework. She is a naturalized citizen .Also she is the second legal immigrant to become first lady. Can you name the first ?

But we are going off subject...act is all the awards shows lately are getting way too political.

Au contraire, you need to turn off Faux News for a minute and do some homework. Evidence shows that Mrs. Trump in fact came to the US a year before she now claims she did, and didn't have the proper visa to work, and was therefore an "illegal" committing an immigration crime. But she's a hot white chick, so she doesn't get tarred as a "criminal and rapist." Funny how that works.

18 hours ago, Lucy Kitten said:

image3-embed_copy.jpg

I watched Dr. Strange last night and I just got mind fucked. Not like Peter Fonda in The Trip mind fucked but I felt like my brain needed a shower afterwards. I enjoyed it. Call me a simple stranger. So much for The Academy.