SultryKitten

My Restless Mind Is Pondering Again...

16 posts in this topic

Soooo...I am sitting here letting my mind wander at midnight with thoughts about going back to school to get either a M.E. or a PH.D. in Counseling, and while perusing the internet for the best options and "need to knows", I realized that I would have to write a dissertation for a PH.D.

Now, here is the reason for my post; I have no idea if I chose that route, what I would do a dissertation about. I thought about this business, heck, I know a LOT about it, but what specifically would be compelling enough to interest them about it? It would have to be critical, and with varied views. My interest is in family/marriage...should I write about the intricacies of that mingling with this profession? Do I go darker and talk about sex trafficking, and its affects on the modern day compared to an older era? Or should I just keep it out of the business altogether, and go in a complete whole new direction? Heck, I am clueless!!!

I do want it to be good, and something that I am passionate about. I would like it to convey the reason I am going into counseling in the first place, but I don't want it to get too personal. What's a girl to do?

Advice? Warnings? Jokes? Predictions?

Anything would be good to hear.

xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

Its been my experience that people love to read about the adult industry. However,you need to keep in mind that prospective employers and clients/customers in the "real " world frown on hiring those that talk about their "shady " past.

If you talk about the Dutch view that legalized prostitution has reduced crime & trafficking in particular, you're liable to get a cold shoulder. That meme doesn't mesh with US values (Left or Right, for different reasons) and threatens the coffers of $s for LEOs to combat same. 

What you might tackle is the emotional effects on men of their partners going through menopause. How men react when their wives lose interest in sex, which could lead you into some of the positive aspects of the sex trade. But that's just one aspect in the change in family dynamics. Hell, hot flashes alone can present a problem. And don't forget to look at how women deal with their lose of interest. Mine went from "missing it" to "what does it matter" to "sex is disgusting".

As JR says, be careful about venting too much of your past. It may harm your future. Use solid research instead of personal anecdotes. 

Most of all - Good Luck!

What about doing it on dead bedrooms, and it's affects on divorce, destroyed relationships, etc., and how critical long term sexual compatibility is between couples.

Specific analysis of the extent to which male and female ego's motivate clients and sex workers in the world of prostitution. The goal is to better understand the connection between sex and self image and it's effects on mental\emotional status.

13 hours ago, SultryKitten said:

Soooo...I am sitting here letting my mind wander at midnight with thoughts about going back to school to get either a M.E. or a PH.D. in Counseling, and while perusing the internet for the best options and "need to knows", I realized that I would have to write a dissertation for a PH.D.

On the serious side, you might wish to decide between engineering and counseling, and then be admitted to a graduate program before worrying about your dissertation topic.  I know that's not much fun at 2am....

How about sexual dysfunction in relationships?  The lack of passion and communication in relationships and what  could be done to possibly fix it? 

Therapy, herbal remedies ,maybe holistic approach? 

Edited by Bella Marie

Congrats to you as you pursue your post graduate degree!  You probably have enough knowledge/information on this subject for a Novel. Should we address you as Dr. Kitten from now on?

19 hours ago, Bella Marie said:

How about sexual dysfunction in relationships?  The lack of passion and communication in relationships and what  could be done to possibly fix it? 

i'am pretty sure it's been discussed ad nauseum.

10 hours ago, MrBigShot said:

Congrats to you as you pursue your post graduate degree!  You probably have enough knowledge/information on this subject for a Novel. Should we address you as Dr. Kitten from now on?

Congrats Samantha!!! Proud of you too! Something so incredibly sexy and beautiful about women who work on self betterment! 

I spent a year taking GRE classes and practice tests etc.  it was exhausting, but really helped me with my advanced degree options and choices...  I'm glad I got it out of the way before diving into the conceptual and thematic parts of advanced studies.

On 2/25/2017 at 0:26 AM, SultryKitten said:

Advice? Warnings? Jokes? Predictions?

Wow Samantha, not a thread I thought I would read on this board, but for some reason it doesn't surprise me given the intellectual nature of many of your posts.  Still interesting, curious, admirable, and either is or should be a little scary!

Advice (FWIW): Thinking about a dissertation topic at this point is putting the cart so far in front of the horse that the horse can't even see the cart.  You would not be expected to come in with a dissertation topic and may actually be vilified for thinking you have a dissertation-worthy topic before you have been trained in the methods and learned the research in the area.  It would be like a noob coming on the board and telling all you YLs how to run your business.

I would write down any ideas you have in a notebook, no more than a page per idea.  I would keep this notebook to yourself until it was time to start working on your papers.  In the meantime, you would get a feel for the acceptability of your topics and whether the more taboo nature of the industry would be on the table.  You might even find a close adviser or confidante to run these ideas by in that time.  Beside just making sure the ideas are worthy of pursuing, you would keep them from being "borrowed".  Yes, academics aren't always ethical. 

Advice/Warning: To me, the bigger and more important advice is to find out what the career prospects are for the degree.  Go and shadow or even intern in the field and find out if that is something you would really want to do.  A Ph.D. program is no joke and you wouldn't want to spend so much time, energy, and money on something only to find out it didn't get you where you want to go.

Jokes:  Would you be Dr. Cockologist?  I can think of all kinds of great marketing, like: Come get your heads fixed and satisfied at the same time!  Come sit on the couch of the Dr., and then let the Dr. sit on your face! 

Predictions: I don't know you, only your board persona, so this is tough. But what you say is telling, "I do want it to be good, and something that I am passionate about."  The jokes above are just that, and the prediction would be around whether this passion takes you where you want to go and the hobby becomes a thing of the past or remains as a side venture.  Not sure I have a prediction, but I am definitely an interested observer.

Don't worry about a dissertation right now. You may take a class that completely changes your mind and run with that. Get your feet wet, it will come to you. And your dissertation will be written over a period of months. It's scary, I know. I'm rethinking law school, but I keep reminding myself that I can do it. But I focus on what I have to do to get there first. 

Sorry for the belated response...I have one of those things called a "personal life". LOL!

I really thought about it this weekend, researched the school I am serious about, and I am going to hold off on the PH.D. for now, but I am still serious about it. A lot of things went through my head deciding this outcome, and what everyone has had to say really put in perspective, for me, what is best. I still need to crunch time, money, and sanity but I think starting with the Masters is the wiser choice, and then continue on from there.

Like a lot of you said, I may change my mind in what field I pursue and so I need to see what works best for me during school. I am still undecided on the dissertation, and a few people told me not to worry about as it will come to me which I thought very sage advice. Eager me wants everything all figured out now. LOL! I just feel like this has been my "calling" for a while now, and have been strongly feeling the "push". My biggest thing is that I don't want it to be the wrong emotions that make me decide to do this(if that makes sense).

Thank you to everyone that spoke up, emailed, whispered advice in my ears. It was all taken in consideration, and I am so blessed to know people that can still help one another when asked. This community we have here is pretty special!

Now on to ponder if I should blog about Samantha's Saga...   ;)

xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

Knowing that you like to talk about several topics, I understand that picking one might be difficult for you. But you do know a lot about men and their desires. A paper on why men desire to be with women other than their "significant other" might be a deeper subject that is obvious.  The emotional and physiological reasons are different than the physical. Think about what you observe in clients other than physical reactions to sex.  How many want closeness or conversation or mothering? I assume that most if not all clients enjoy "the act", but I've been told by other providers that they have several clients who do not want intercourse or even any type of sex act. AS others have said you have the dissertation well before the other requirements of any degree, but tis might be a good topic.