Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Is there a BMW mechanic in the house?

14 posts in this topic

Every mechanic is freaking closed on the weekend! I have a 2007 328i. Brand new battery, but it won't start. I just had a diagnostics run on it Wednesday after the new battery, and the starter tested good. So, I turn to the good folks of TOB. 

Please send any helpful suggestions via PM. Thank you and xoxo 

just a small shade tree mechanic............

won't start?  turns over but not firing or won't turn over, just click, click, click.

A normal OBD II diag tool will pull standard codes from a BMW, but the BMW specific ones get all the "special" codes they like to use.

3 hours ago, frankenthaler91 said:

just a small shade tree mechanic............

won't start?  turns over but not firing or won't turn over, just click, click, click.

Click, click, click....it's the starter. Very, very frustrating! Taking it to a new mechanic Monday. 

8 hours ago, Melissa Sterling said:

Click, click, click....it's the starter. Very, very frustrating! Taking it to a new mechanic Monday. 

Times like this is when AAA comes in handy.

3 hours ago, frankenthaler91 said:

Possible that the clamps on the battery are loose.    Give them a wiggle.  

Nope, the battery is in the trunk and everything is super tight and connected.  It's the starter. And the starter is way in the back under a bunch of engine so tapping it to life doesn't work. Plus the giant indicator light that if it lights in red, your starter is bad and as a safety precaution the car will not start. So I'm screwed for the moment. But, I'll figure it out. 

Could be alternator and/or serpentine belt. Same thing just happened to my Audi. Slimy Foreign Car Repair shop bastards charged me nearly $500.00 to fix it.

Likely a dealer fix. A lot of bmws have security systems that have to be reset when switching a battery. Often they will connect them to power while switching batteries. Had a friend with an early 2000's 5 series that we learned that on. 

3 hours ago, Redvines1 said:

Likely a dealer fix. A lot of bmws have security systems that have to be reset when switching a battery. Often they will connect them to power while switching batteries. Had a friend with an early 2000's 5 series that we learned that on. 

Yes, but I've driven it for 3 days and then it stopped. 

My buddy drives a BMW down here in the Springs, and he won't step foot in the local dealer, he gets his service done at the dealer in Denver.  Says the folks here aren't the brightest bunch... Of course, that's a bit far for emergency maintenance.

Yeah I'm not going to a dealer. Got a shop here who does some the racers cars. Comes highly recommended and willing to take payments. 

Probably gonna trade it in on a new one. Thank God I have fantastic credit. 

42 minutes ago, Melissa Sterling said:

Yeah I'm not going to a dealer. Got a shop here who does some the racers cars. Comes highly recommended and willing to take payments. 

Probably gonna trade it in on a new one. Thank God I have fantastic credit. 

Sorry Sweetie, that really sucks about your car.......Great news you have good credit, that helps a lot!