Safe(r) Communicatons

12 posts in this topic

So a longtime friend and (ex)provider from Cali came and visited with her kid to go skiing.  I showed her this page.  I also showed her a few apps I use to communicate safely here and in other situations where privacy, not being tracked, and keeping LEOS out of my data is important.  She suggested I share.  (she's telling her friends back home these tips:)

1)  Email - I have used Protonmail for years now.  Its an end to end encrypted service, and with the paid version, there are all kinds of privacy bells and whistles.  I use the free accounts for things like registering here, and P411, and social media accts, and a paid one for business/personal/medical etc.  It's also based in Switzerland and has no obligations to the FCC, etc.

2) Messaging - on my desktop and my phone I use Wickr.   Its also end to end encrypted, and the messages self destruct after 24 hours of receiving them, unless you set them to blow up earlier (like an hour etc).  It's a membership service, so you have to invite people you want to use it with, but it's a great PM option.

3) Phone - I use the Burner and also Sideline apps for a 2nd number on my phone, for hobbying, or like dealing with Craigslist, or any reason I need a number the phone company isnt tracking or someone can't stalk etc.

With Burner, you can call, text and receive both to a number you pick and subscribe to for a few bucks a month.  And it TSHTF for any reason you can burn the whole number and logs etc with the touch of a button.  Why I really like it is that in settings you can opt to save your texts and contacts to a google spreadsheet for reference or to import into a new Burner number.   Lots of other cool options in settings too.

With Sideline, you can get a Team acct and manage the contacts etc like a business line.

4) Phone security - I use Sophos Mobile protection to keep the phone bug and virus free, and also it allows you to set up passwords to access apps you dont want a stranger or LEO to access if they pick up or take your phone.   At this point  I can pretty much hand a LEO my phone and they arent going to get much from it even with a court order.  Sophos also encrypts your phone and sim and memory cards and you can wipe the phone remotely if lost or stolen.

A LEO can coerce you to open a phone with fingerprint protection but as of now, passwords still don't have to be given to them.

One last thing...  a good TOR browser for phones is Orfox......

Hope this helps y'all with some peace of mind in the digital frontier.  Peace

That's a LOT of information....when I saw the heading, Safe(r)  Communication, I figured you were just going to suggest putting a big condom over your phone.

1 hour ago, Admiral C said:

That's a LOT of information....when I saw the heading, Safe(r)  Communication, I figured you were just going to suggest putting a big condom over your phone.

No bbc... (bareback cel)

Thanks UncleHazard. All good ideas. Big Brother is watching and remembering every key stroke.

Let me add one more... connecting to WWW through a virtual private network service (VPN), which provides security and anonymity in one fell swoop whether you are at home, on your mobile data phone, or connecting remotely.

It used to be a pain to find active proxy servers for secure browsing. Now there are now dozens of commercial VPN services, located globally, that keep no records and tell no tales. For a monthly or annual subscription, one can access the network via a private, secure, and encrypted portal, and pop out with a virtual network address located in any of dozens of countries around the world.

If they want to check their logs, TOB sysops can see that I'm posting this message from London, but I could be anywhere -- including a location less than an hour away from one of our Colorado ladies.

You can choose from many quality VPNs. You'll find plenty of top ten lists by searching the keyword VPN. My VPN provider is mentioned on the new top ten list from PC Mag.

While you're at it, switch your search engine to something like Duck Duck Go for anonymous searching, unless you like all those spookie targeted ads from Google.

Good info.  orbot/orfox is the TOR/VPN service I use on android.

Thank you so much :) This is all very good and useful information that will help out immensely in the discretion department! 

6 hours ago, Old_Timer said:

Thanks UncleHazard. All good ideas. Big Brother is watching and remembering every key stroke.

Let me add one more... connecting to WWW through a virtual private network service (VPN), which provides security and anonymity in one fell swoop whether you are at home, on your mobile data phone, or connecting remotely.

It used to be a pain to find active proxy servers for secure browsing. Now there are now dozens of commercial VPN services, located globally, that keep no records and tell no tales. For a monthly or annual subscription, one can access the network via a private, secure, and encrypted portal, and pop out with a virtual network address located in any of dozens of countries around the world.

If they want to check their logs, TOB sysops can see that I'm posting this message from London, but I could be anywhere -- including a location less than an hour away from one of our Colorado ladies.

You can choose from many quality VPNs. You'll find plenty of top ten lists by searching the keyword VPN. My VPN provider is mentioned on the new top ten list from PC Mag.

While you're at it, switch your search engine to something like Duck Duck Go for anonymous searching, unless you like all those spookie targeted ads from Google.

Tunnelbear is seamless across platforms

Also Hola has good VPN and fake GPS apps.  I put all my covert apps into a folder called Recipes on my Android