Laci French

Question for the Colorado masses

51 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, fishndude57 said:

Amazing what being nice to people get you.

Truer words were never spoken! :D

On 1/24/2017 at 10:31 AM, Bodyman0x said:

Down here in Pueblo we say "youse guys".

Youse guys wanna go eat?

Family split between Jersey and North Carolina.  We say "Youse All"... and "Yo!  Bless your heart!"

Born in Colorado many years ago and have never used Y'all. Howdy (my favorite). How's it going?  How you doin'? What's goin' on? Que Pasa? 

Edited by rodrod1

Laci, I'm old and the bit of Western Americana I share here may be slightly out of date. (Sadly, this happens more often than not.)

Where I grew up (not more than a hundred miles from here) we spoke of "you folks" as opposed to "you people" - with the former meaning folks we liked and the latter meaning people who were just weird.

On 1/23/2017 at 9:40 AM, MrBigShot said:

Being a from the Southern Region of the US doesn't make one a back country rube. Just means those individuals have a different way of speaking and use words like "y'all" and "Ma'am". Painting our Southern friends with such a broad and derogatory brush is narrow minded and prejudiced.

Proudly being from South Carolina, I've worked hard to lose the drawl and it's taken years working on my non-regional diction to be accepted as someone other than possessing a room temperature IQ from those who detect a hint of any southern accent.

Being from the south myself, I've always found it interesting why fellow southerners would purposely try and lose their accent. I've lived in Colorado nearly 20 years and I still get asked a couple times a week where I'm from because of my accent. I wear my southern origin proudly and am not ashamed nor do I give it a second thought whether people think I'm a dumb fellow because of my accent. I've met some pretty ignorant people from all over this country who have all kinds of accents not just southern accents. It's too bad that us southerners seem to bear the brunt of most of the jokes though. 

Ya'll works anywhere in my opinion!

Edited by H2Opieluver

Growing up in Denver, I believe it depends on what area of town you're from.

East: Y'all

West: Yous

North: You Guys

South: You All

lol

Tish Thique

1 hour ago, H2Opieluver said:

... It's too bad that us southerners seem to bear the brunt of most of the jokes though. 

Weigh'd ya pah-k ya caah? 😜 

I remember a 7th grade geography teacher from the NE. Took me the longest time to figure out where Cuber was on the map. Same thing for 'Mericer, as in North & South.

Edited by Bit Banger
Added teacher tale.

6 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

Weigh'd ya pah-k ya caah? 😜 

I remember a 7th grade geography teacher from the NE. Took me the longest time to figure out where Cuber was on the map....

I remember similar confusion listening to JFK on TV in '62.

1 hour ago, H2Opieluver said:

Being from the south myself, I've always found it interesting why fellow southerners would purposely try and lose their accent. I've lived in Colorado nearly 20 years and I still get asked a couple times a week where I'm from because of my accent. I wear my southern origin proudly and am not ashamed nor do I give it a second thought whether people think I'm a dumb fellow because of my accent. I've met some pretty ignorant people from all over this country who have all kinds of accents not just southern accents. It's too bad that us southerners seem to bear the brunt of most of the jokes though. 

It has nothing to do with jokes or my insecurities...rather business and earnings for me. I've spent the greater part of my professional life speaking in large group settings; sales seminars, informational meetings, etc and the more I worked on non-regional diction, the more I was taken seriously by my customers. Therefore, opening opportunity for more income. If I were still in South Carolina...I would speak as my customers speak there but since I've lived in Colorado for 30 years it was advantageous for me to adjust my professional speaking voice to my audience.

I agree, in 1 on 1 settings...the drawl is evident and prominent

In my real world, I often have to walk into a room full of overpriced consultants, CPAs, etc., and need to immediately take command of the conversation.  I have never found a better first line than "How ya'll doing today."  This has always been in Denver (or some other non-southern city).  Just something about "y'all" that seems to put folks at ease and on your side.  Of course part of it is how  you say it ...... YMMV

It used to be that a linguist could place a person w/in blocks of where they grew up. Of course, people seldom left the neighborhood. But with the advent of radio, and later TV, local dialects became submerged in the speech patterns of broadcasters (often Central Canadians) who strove to eliminate dialect so they would appeal to a broader audience.

When I first moved out here 8yrs ago I felt like I was on a different planet, everyone would say oh wow what an accent you have to be from the south... With my hey yalls and my sweet tea I'm pretty sure Texas was plastered all over my face.Colorandans were just so proper to me. Now 8yrs later its Hey Guys...How are ya...

Don't get me wrong when I have a glass or two of wine my Texas tone shines bright...:D:D:D

On 1/22/2017 at 10:21 AM, pfunk said:

I resemble that remark!

How're all y'all doin? :lol:

I suppose as a personal preference I prefer most people don't call me hon or baby. Y'all doesn't bother me at all. I think it all depends on who says it. It is less preferable to you guys or, hey, how's everyone doing. Or, I would like it if you all would calm down. Y'all sounds kind of silly coming from a Coloradan...we lack the charm or gumption to pull it off.

On 1/20/2017 at 5:23 PM, Laci French said:

What is the Colorado equivalent to y'all?

Let's go hiking? :P

I was thinking 'bro', but I don't think that's it, either.

I want to say quite literally in translation..."Everybody except for me." I will say, we are adept to change here in Colorado, namely Denver. Since we have some neutrality here I "believe" we are impressionable and open to diversity. While you say what you say, I'm likely to adopt what you say and yet, put my "cow town" "rocky mountain oyster" English on that ball. 

Disclaimer: just being playful with words.

On 1/26/2017 at 0:26 PM, H2Opieluver said:

Absolutely.... I love being from the south...KISSES YA'LL

3 hours ago, Bella Marie said:

Absolutely.... I love being from the south...KISSES YA'LL

So have you ever used the term; "Kiss my Grits":lol:

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 2:12 AM, subtlysexy89 said:

I suppose as a personal preference I prefer most people don't call me hon or baby. Y'all doesn't bother me at all. I think it all depends on who says it. It is less preferable to you guys or, hey, how's everyone doing. Or, I would like it if you all would calm down. Y'all sounds kind of silly coming from a Coloradan...we lack the charm or gumption to pull it off.

Well, you may lack charm and gumption.  We native sons of the rectangle state have no such problem.  ;)

16 hours ago, Kaduk said:

So have you ever used the term; "Kiss my Grits":lol:

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!! But only when I'm eating at "MEL'S DINER"...:P