Laci French

Question for the Colorado masses

51 posts in this topic

What is the Colorado equivalent to y'all?

Being a Colorado Redneck, born and reared here in Denver, I don't think there's and equivalent to y'all. Given the latest in our local society, which I do subscribe to..."Hey Dude" might work. LOL  

'"everybody" as in "What does everybody want to eat?" or "Does everybody have a place to stay?".

Seriously, there is no Colorado equivalent to "y'all". :lol:

Edited by pfunk

Pfunk, love you! 

Is there just not??

16 minutes ago, pfunk said:

'"everybody" as in "What does everybody want to eat?" or "Does everybody have a place to stay?".

Seriously, there is no Colorado equivalent to "y'all". :lol:

Sorry, but I learned that y'all is singular. The plural is "y'all y'all." 😏

As to the OP, not being a CO native I'm clueless. 

1 hour ago, decafnaetd said:

I believe "you guys" is an acceptable alternative to y'all.

What what if there are ladies present as well

2 hours ago, Laci French said:

Pfunk, love you! 

Is there just not??

Nope, afraid not. A simple Hi Everyone, or Hi Everybody seems to do the trick!

Al the ladies I know (and correct me if I'm mistaken) don't have a problem with this.

Genuine, classic, regional lingo knows no borders. I think "y'all" works just fine in Colorado!  When you walk tall and speak proudly, you are always walking in tall cotton.

16 hours ago, sparkey600 said:

Nope, afraid not. A simple Hi Everyone, or Hi Everybody seems to do the trick!

Al the ladies I know (and correct me if I'm mistaken) don't have a problem with this.

I like y'all.... guess that's because I'm from the south💞😉😙

Hey Moderator. Y'all. Hi y'all. Folks is a great restaurant introduction. Hi, to one person. Entourage...posse...the mod squad...ladies...men, group of itinerant idealists. "Hey guys" is Colorado Casual and to avoid the lazy and slight unprofessionalism, "how is everybody enjoying their evening"...ever mindful to address the check holder of the group. If someone says hi, I say howdy. Paul Revere. "How's it goin'"  "what might you droogs be getting into." "What's good?" But truly...top of the mornin to ya lass...good day sir and how goes it, so it goes. Anything goes, except childish nicknames toward women...unless you are in fact sooo old I could be your child.

9 hours ago, subtlysexy89 said:

unless you are in fact sooo old I could be your child.

I resemble that remark!

How're all y'all doin? :lol:

Speaking as a fourth-generation native Coloradoan, and one who actually appreciates our special relationship with Texans (they all come here to escape, and we love them, but thank God, they always go home), I can assure you that the Colorado equivalent to "Y'all" is "Y'all."

The only difference is that most Coloradoans don't know that "Y'all" can be both singular and plural, depending upon the situation, and actually do say "Y'all Y'all" as the plural.

5 minutes ago, Audrey Astor said:

For me it's y'all. lol

Sounds bout right for you. I've met ya for a shoot around. You're a pretty redneck, still a redneck LOL.

makes you sound like a back country rube.....unless you're in the south, i'd quit using the word.

4 hours ago, Mr.Pink said:

makes you sound like a back country rube.....unless you're in the south, i'd quit using the word.

Kind, educated, empathetic, pleasant...you're such good person.

51 minutes ago, pfunk said:

Kind, educated, empathetic, pleasant...you're such good person.

it was a snarky comment........sorry op. :(

13 hours ago, pfunk said:

I resemble that remark!

How're all y'all doin? :lol:

I suppose as a personal preference I prefer most people don't call me hon or baby. Y'all doesn't bother me at all. I think it all depends on who says it. It is less preferable to you guys or, hey, how's everyone doing. Or, I would like it if you all would calm down. Y'all sounds kind of silly coming from a Coloradan...we lack the charm or gumption to pull it off.

12 hours ago, Mr.Pink said:

it was a snarky comment........sorry op. :(

I didn't spend too much time crying.;)

Hope all of y'all have a fantastic week.:D

18 hours ago, Mr.Pink said:

Being a from the Southern Region of the US doesn't make one a back country rube. Just means those individuals have a different way of speaking and use words like "y'all" and "Ma'am". Painting our Southern friends with such a broad and derogatory brush is narrow minded and prejudiced.

Proudly being from South Carolina, I've worked hard to lose the drawl and it's taken years working on my non-regional diction to be accepted as someone other than possessing a room temperature IQ from those who detect a hint of any southern accent.

9 hours ago, MrBigShot said:

Being a from the Southern Region of the US doesn't make one a back country rube. Just means those individuals have a different way of speaking and use words like "y'all" and "Ma'am". Painting our Southern friends with such a broad and derogatory brush is narrow minded and prejudiced.

Proudly being from South Carolina, I've worked hard to lose the drawl and it's taken years working on my non-regional diction to be accepted as someone other than possessing a room temperature IQ from those who detect a hint of any southern accent.

Living briefly in on the Kentucky/Tennessee border in the 60's, one of the funniest things I ever saw on tv was the newscasters trying to emulate a northern accent and covering up their drawl. Needless to say. there was a lot of tongue twisting and word scrambles during the broadcast. I think it would have gone a lot smoother if they just retained their normal accent. 

Even though I moved here shortly after that and have lived here longer than most natives, I have no opinion on the equivalent of y'all. The closest I've come to it is saying "Hiya" . I have no idea where I picked that up.

Down here in Pueblo we say "youse guys".

Youse guys wanna go eat?

13 minutes ago, Bodyman0x said:

Youse guys wanna go eat?

LOL, my daddy was born and raised in Wheblo. My cousins all still live there. I fish there. The bikini hatch at Pueblo Res is phenomenal!

1 hour ago, Bodyman0x said:

Youse guys wanna go eat?

I'm channeling My Cousin Vinny after reading this 😄😄

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 3:11 PM, Mr.Pink said:

Nah, duhhar duhhar, that's me. Lady that's a cosmetologist is coming to cut my sparse hair tonight. I'm making her gizzards and gravy over rice. It was her and her daddy's fav meal. Her daddy's up looking down on her. She's misses him bad. Amazing what being nice to people get you.