Laci French

Anyone else having yahoo issues?

10 posts in this topic

There was a breach in security with yahoo and I'm guessing mine was compromised.

I just received an email from myself saying that my mother is dying of cancer and I need money.

Besides changing my password, should I send individual emails out to all my contacts? .....fucking yahoo:(

59 minutes ago, Laci French said:

There was a breach in security with yahoo and I'm guessing mine was compromised.

I just received an email from myself saying that my mother is dying of cancer and I need money.

Besides changing my password, should I send individual emails out to all my contacts? .....fucking yahoo:(

I think you should check with Yahoo first....

I got that email from you as well. Instead of sending out another unsolicited email maybe just post a notification to your websites. I'm not sure how I got in your contacts cause I've never seen you but I might have signed up for an account on your site so that might be where the list came from but you might already know that.

I did receive the same notification from Yahoo advising that there had been a breach. Yikes! I don't use Yahoo for my business account, thank goodness. Good grief. What next?

I got the same email from Yahoo..Luckily I don't have any contacts in my Yahoo account.

9 hours ago, Laci French said:

I can guarantee your account was compromised. I just got an email from you stating I was the best lover you've  ever had. :D 

Hmmm, it might be worthwhile to make another thread if people want to come up with some general thoughts here if an account gets compromised. Let's say its your play account, but somehow that's linked in backup to your phone number, your phone is linked to... Etc. I just mean that there isn't a best practices from a good webmaster on what you should do in this hobby like there is for everything else.

Maybe suggestions, ideas. And of course excuses if you have to feed a line to outside people :)

Echoing what others have said: I do not store contacts in Yahoo, don't save old e-mails there, and none are tied to anything "real", so, if breached, eh.

Also got the notice from Yahoo about account breach. If I recall correctly, notice said occured in 2013, so, if one did not change their password since then, tsk tsk.

What with password vaults on browsers and cross-platform similar solutions (password store/synch between desk/laptop and mobile), no excuse to not use random passwords for each account. Can be a pain to maintain at times, but, provides a level of security. Same goes for security questions: ideally, use random answers, different between sites, and use password synch app (many have a note field for entries, where you can note your random answers), so that the responses cannot be of use elsewhere.

"But what if your password synch service gets hacked" you say? Fair enough. When I was looking for an app several years ago, had same question/concern. Eventually went with an app named mSecure: self contained, encrypted data file that gets passed around between platforms, so, no central database that could have issues. And I encrypt my file with 23 character strong password (on phone, can unlock with fingerprint, so, not as big a pain the long key). A similar popular open-source solution that has apps to work with it is KeePass.

An encrypted Excel spreadsheet could work as well, however, you need to make sure that the format you are using is the xlsx format (Office 2007 and newer): encryption in earlier versions is so weak, it's pretty much useless. And or encrypt the spreadsheet separately.

I was comprised too Lacy. They changed all my passwords on all of the sites I had saved. I had to change all passwords including here. I have always kept the emails in case I needed my info but I didn't keep in my inbox. But it's not hard to fine. Good thing I don't keep important emails in yahoo.

I would strongly advise to get away from Yahoo as soon as possible due the the continued breaches in security they have for years now.