Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NayaNama

New to TOB and to Denver, where's the best BBQ?

18 posts in this topic

Hi TOB, I'm Naya and visiting Denver for the first time. My tolerance has been crap (thanks altitude) and I spent an hour lost downtown yesterday, but I completely love the city so far. I'm absolutely craving BBQ and I don't know why. What's the best place? If it has beer and live music you'll make me so happy!

The Hickory House in Parker is the best for around here.  Unfortunately Denver does  not have a lot to offer for BBQ as compared to Kansas City or Kentucky.

There is a buffet at the Dickies righ off of Arapahoe & I-25. You can even have free ice cream(I make a root beer float). Also, Jim N' Nicks BBQ right off of Hampden & I-25 is delish also. No live music, but I know you can get beer at Jim's and they have a decent selection to choose from even a few local brews. Have fun in Denver!

xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

Jim N Nicks, 4 locations in Denver. Scratch made bbq...no freezers, no microwaves. Other than my house...best bbq in Denver.. .oh and the mac and cheese is yummy!!

If you want to see a little of the mountains it is a nice drive up to Lyons, depending on your starting point. Great food, laid back mountain ambience.

Smokin Daves BBQ & Taphouse

Barbecue Restaurant

Slow-cooked meats topped with a variety of sauces at this casual hub with a long microbrew list.
Address: 228 Main St, Lyons, CO 80540
Phone:(303) 823-0993
Hours:
Open today · 11AM–9PM

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Welcome to TOB!

I'm partial to Southern Pulled Pork BBQ myself (being from the Carolinas). Haven't found any to my liking here in Colorado so I've had to make my own, Carolina Style BBQ with all the fixin's including cole slaw, hush puppies and baked beans.

35 minutes ago, MrBigShot said:

Welcome to TOB!

I'm partial to Southern Pulled Pork BBQ myself (being from the Carolinas). Haven't found any to my liking here in Colorado so I've had to make my own, Carolina Style BBQ with all the fixin's including cole slaw, hush puppies and baked beans.

I have yet to find a good mustard based sauce in CO

3 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

I have yet to find a good mustard based sauce in CO

Bit, The region of South Carolina I'm from offers vinegar based pulled pork BBQ. I slow cook a pork shoulder roast in the crock pot for six hours with vinegar, garlic salt and seasonings to get the flavor just right. Mustard must be the BBQ dujour for another region of the Carolinas.

Sadly, there will never be another Winston Hill.  That said, if you can't get your fix between Owl Bear, Globe Hall, Ragin' Hog, or Russell's, you probably can't get it commercially in Denver. 

3 hours ago, MrBigShot said:

... Mustard must be the BBQ dujour for another region of the Carolinas.

I first encountered mustard based sauce in the Charlestown area. 

@Alexa Rayne I disagree, but do enjoy Jim n Nicks off 120th maybe I'll have them cater my next interview and have you over for a taste test.

Just down the road from Nick and Willys, @MrBigShot may find a pulled pork he likes at http://gquebbq.com/. no relation to @geecue2 as far as I know.  Roughly at 120th and Sheridan. 

The Carolina at GQueBBQ is very good. Love the ribs and the brisket sandwich there as well. It is not a cheap lunch/dinner, but is award winning. 

LOL, as someone who frequents that 'icky' Dallas site I totally misinterpreted the title of this thread!