Compelling video

13 posts in this topic

So, a class mate showed  me a video on Facebook by a site called en.newser.com 

My classmates is from Iran and had escaped the country from religious persecution because she's a Christian. 

I'm hoping someone who is far more tech savvy can help link the video because it's quite compelling.

The video shows people from all over the world who have their own ideas about who they are and where they come from. All different races, colors, countries etc. They take a DNA test to prove they are who they think. They arrive many of the same stereotypes and prejudice we do, or have encountered. Two weeks later the group is brought back and they are handed their results back and are asked to read their results to the group. Their perceptions are shattered.

The point is, we are all human beings. Color of skin is an adaptation of a person's environment. I'm hoping this video will show people that we are all connected, and our perception of self and others might be wrong. 

To any members who have been discriminated against, I'm terribly sorry. I'm hoping if someone can find the video, maybe it can start to compelling others to think about things.

There was a video tweeted on twitter, there is a Musslim man with a sign saying, I am a Musslim and people call me a terrorist . Do you trust me? If yes hug me. He is blind folded standing by his sign blind folded. Amazing how many total strangers walk up and give this guy a hug, mothers holding their newborns up so he can hug them, kids, young, old.

It is so true Melissa, and thank you! I am really pale, but I had, for years, heard many stoires of my ancestries that said otherwise along with the dark color of my family. Found out last year that I am, in fact, truly mixed. I am 35% English, 35% German, 20% African American, 5% Israel, and the rest is mostly European with .5% Native American of two variety. Matches the family history to the "T", and is so fascinating to know that my rich tapestry is so diverse and interwebbed. Yet, people see me as "white". 

I wish people would realize that looking at someone doesn't determine who they are, and to quit judging by the color of their skin. Everyone has a story, history, lessons, culture, family, dreams, etc. That is what shapes the person we are not where we come from. Very cool, and yes, compelling.

xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

Ugh! someone sent it to me in a pm but how do I post it. You gotta see it. people breakdown crying because they are ashamed of themselves because they were wrong. 

Having studied my genealogy and taken a similar DNA test,  I can relate to this video. 

Well done!

I'm kind of sad that only a few people watched this. Especially after such a hot debate last week.

thank you Melissa! that was pretty deep. one of these days I will do this.

I've heard so many people being surprised and blindsided by their results from being tested. this summer I meet a great man in Scotland. he was full of national pride.  his family and wife told me he just recently got his dna checked. he somberly told me he was 30% more Irish. and everyone laughed their asses off as he was telling me this........

Yawn, movie looks totally staged and is boring. I mean, come on, a white British guy has German ancestry? Imagine that!

Sadly, Trump's election nullifies all this (sarcasm) nonsense about racial, LGBGTQ, minority, etc, equality.  DNA's not be worth spit; so to speak.