Bit Banger

Racism?

38 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, MrBigShot said:

Using this logic I identify as a Horny-Toad presumed to be dead after I was all loved up by a trio of Sirens

Oh Brother ...

😏

10 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

Oh Brother ...

😏

Where Art Thou

7 minutes ago, MrBigShot said:

Where Art Thou

Earlier, you had the best post of the day.  This may be the worst  :rolleyes:

17 minutes ago, MAG said:

Earlier, you had the best post of the day.  This may be the worst  :rolleyes:

The law of averages were bound to even things out eventually 

One of the real issues, so far unacknowleged, with any discussion of race, is personal history.

My father called black people n******. My mom was offended by the term. However, both became upset when my sister dated someone of a different race. Their parents had taught them "races didn't mingle". 

I know girls who have been harassed by a man of color, and this has made them afraid of that race. Of course, it was only that specific person that harassed her, not the race.

I went to school with many latino boys and girls, and I never think of them as a different "race". However, many do. Unfortunately, not the same story for asian or black people, for me.

Virtually, no one can be objective in this matter. Pretending your biases don't inform your practices, is foolish. All we can do is try harder. Try to get to know, the actual people underneath the skin.

Someday, if we don't blow up the earth, we will be one race. Then we'll have to fight over religion! :lol:

1 hour ago, pfunk said:

One of the real issues, so far unacknowleged, with any discussion of race, is personal history.

So true!

One of my personal shames: In the mid-70's, my wife & I were struggling to have a child. During the Vietnam "baby lift" she wanted to adopt one of them. I couldn't bring myself to do this because if my personal history in 'Nam.

Part of the tragedy in these discussions is that these personal reasons, rational or not, get lost in the generic cry of "Racist!"  

Consider the LEO for whom 60% of the problems on her beat are caused by people with purple cars.  Is she more likely to watch purple cars more closely?  Of course she is.  There's a chicken & egg issue here - are purple cars really 60% of her problems, or is the 60% because she's watching them more closely.