Election Day Anxiety

146 posts in this topic

I'm not very Political but can't help paying attention during a Presidential Election. I heard one of my co-workers express that he was voting for Hillary Clinton because if Trump wins it will be the end of the Republican Party. Huh? A vote for Hillary Clinton means the Republican Party will continue to exist? Even on Saturday Night Live the actress who portrays Hillary Clinton, Kate McKinnon, lampooned the process by referring to the same thing by labeling Trump as an "Outsider" and herself as the "only Republican on the stage".

Can someone please explain why a vote for Clinton means a vote for the Republican establishment and a vote for Trump means the end of the Republican party? I'm scratching my head on this one. 

Edited by MrBigShot

If you vote for Trump, you're a traitor.  If you vote for Hillary, you're a commie.  

Wait... sorry, I was distracted by campaign ads. 

Once the people say integrity is optional,
the nation is lost.
An America that gives up on integrity
would not be America anymore.

I just hate that I have to choose one boob over another boob! :eek:

Don't understand it either, but the election this year is an effing joke. Personally, I wonder if it is just another distraction to make us choose a side, and not see the real stuff going on. I will say that I am getting real tired of hearing people being ignorant about the truth that has been proven just because they "have" to be loyal to their political stance. Why aren't we voting for people who will continue to make America great not run it into the ground which is what they are slowly doing. Also, why aren't we making stricter rules for who can run for presidency? We need someone who understands bureacracy, diplomacy, and politics. This goes bigger than voting...we need to be paying attention to what is going on in the House, the world, Congress, etc. Heck, look at the mess with our Health Care?!?! This country is in sore need of some tough love.

xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

1 hour ago, SultryKitten said:

I just hate that I have to choose one boob over another boob! :eek:

Don't understand it either, but the election this year is an effing joke. Personally, I wonder if it is just another distraction to make us choose a side, and not see the real stuff going on. I will say that I am getting real tired of hearing people being ignorant about the truth that has been proven just because they "have" to be loyal to their political stance. Why aren't we voting for people who will continue to make America great not run it into the ground which is what they are slowly doing. Also, why aren't we making stricter rules for who can run for presidency? We need someone who understands bureacracy, diplomacy, and politics. This goes bigger than voting...we need to be paying attention to what is going on in the House, the world, Congress, etc. Heck, look at the mess with our Health Care?!?! This country is in sore need of some tough love.

xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

It's sad to think that in a country as great as ours this this is the only choice we have. Makes me fear for the future of this land we call home. I'm proud to say god bless the USA 🇺🇸 and I will never apologize fo saying it!

I haven't heard that one.  I'm sure there's some obscene logic to it. It really seems like fear-mongering. If you believe it, then you would never vote for Clinton if you care about the Republican party. How could you be responsible for the party falling apart?! 

I feel like the Republican party as we know it is already nearing its end.  Although I'm not a Trump fan, I understand the appeal. He's not a lifetime politician and he says it like it is (or at least to him), which makes him very different from any other candidate out there and many people are really drawn to this change. If Trump is the best candidate they can put out there, then there's definitely a major problem within the party. It kind of feels like the more extreme aspects of the Rebublican party, like the Tea Party and the Trump supporters, are pulling the party into multiple different factions that share only a small set of core beliefs. I feel like it will eventually become multiple parties. It's going to be a slow process, but maybe someday we will even have more than two viable parties to vote for.  I hope so, anyway.

Edited by daaacz

This is all great commentary and I appreciate the posters who have responded. However, my initial question still remains unanswered. Why would a Hilary Clinton presidency, Democrat nominee for President, preserve the Republican Party, while a Trump presidency, Republican nominee for President, would ensure the end of the Republican Party?

I've heard this theory debated in several places now (mostly among establishment Republican types) and am confused as to why having a Democrat establishment President would ensure the continuation of the Republican Party while a Trump Presidency (who was a registered Democrat until about six years ago) would signal the end of the Republican Party.

12 minutes ago, daaacz said:

I haven't heard that one.  I'm sure there's some obscene logic to it. It really seems like fear-mongering. If you believe it, then you would never vote for Clinton if you care about the Republican party. How could you be responsible for the party falling apart?! 

I

I think you misread my point.

A Clinton presidency preserves the Republican Party while a Trump Presidency signals the end of the Republican Party. The underlying logic is that Clinton is part of the establishment, while Trump, loathed by the Republican establishment, is an outsider to the Republican party and not bound by any party ideology has created a movement that does not represent establishment Republican ideology i.e. George W. Bush, John McCain, Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan, Carl Rove, etc 

1 hour ago, MrBigShot said:

A Clinton presidency preserves the Republican Party while a Trump Presidency signals the end of the Republican Party. The underlying logic is that Clinton is part of the establishment, while Trump, loathed by the Republican establishment, is an outsider to the Republican party and not bound by any party ideology has created a movement that does not represent establishment Republican ideology i.e. George W. Bush, John McCain, Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan, Carl Rove, etc 

HRC represents the establishment and DT represents...whatever fucked up thing is in his head.

The Republicans have been sharpening their knives for 20 years on her, but her Presidency is still much closer to the status quo. Trump is unpredictable, and is not a good representative of their policy's.

With him in the White House the R's lose a lot more credibility than they can afford. They could be effectively at war with their own candidate

PLEASE GOD, can't there be just one place where I don't have to listen to or read people prattle on about Trump and Clinton.  Just one place, please God, just one place.

PEOPLE VOTE FOR THIRD PARTY GARY JOHNSON! We the people can take back our country, you just have to educate yourself on the choices. hopefully this election will show that the two party system isn't working anymore.  

48 minutes ago, Badboy said:

PLEASE GOD, can't there be just one place where I don't have to listen to or read people prattle on about Trump and Clinton.  Just one place, please God, just one place.

Sorry for sullying your one and only sanctuary BadBoy. This thread is all on me. I was curious to hear from this community about these important issues and had no intention of boring you with prattle. I think the discussion has been a lively one, even your protest post!

1 hour ago, MrReindeer-9515 said:

HRC represents the establishment and DT represents...whatever fucked up thing is in his head.

The Republicans have been sharpening their knives for 20 years on her, but her Presidency is still much closer to the status quo. Trump is unpredictable, and is not a good representative of their policy's.

With him in the White House the R's lose a lot more credibility than they can afford. They could be effectively at war with their own candidate

Hillary the status quo choice, that's the second time I have heard that this week. I also heard Ben Howe say the same thing to Tomi Lahren while trying to explain to her that even as a Republican Hillary was the better choice. That was a surprisingly decent interview, it was interesting to hear what Howe had to say and what he thought the problems were. According to him Republicans don't want to lose their party to alt-right, which is what would happen if Trump won. And who can blame them?

3 hours ago, MrBigShot said:

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/10/anti-trump-conservative-schools-tomi-lahren-for-peddling-cheap-outrage-and-enabling-the-alt-right

3 hours ago, Melissa Sterling said:

PEOPLE VOTE FOR THIRD PARTY GARY JOHNSON! We the people can take back our country, you just have to educate yourself on the choices. hopefully this election will show that the two party system isn't working anymore.  

No matter who wins this election, almost half the country is going to be pissed.  Consider voting third party as the 2 party system no longer works since we have 2 boobs running for president.

Sorry Mr Bigshot OT

Just trying to understand why Colorado has so many admidments on this ballet? I need help understanding EVERYTHING! I have had all my voting stuff next to my bed on my floor now for a couple of weeks... Just SO lost! Think I need to go to a special school to understand all this stuff!?

Help!:(

52 minutes ago, ilovewomen said:

No matter who wins this election, almost half the country is going to be pissed.  Consider voting third party as the 2 party system no longer works since we have 2 boobs running for president.

Gary Johnson is a boob too. So is Jill Stein. One doesn't know what Aleppo is and the other is an anti-vaxer. Neither is a good choice in my book and neither party is one I would really want to affiliate with. Just because we need a third party doesn't mean that we should rush and vote for the first one that's available. As much as a third party would be great it's currently not viable. Americans don't really like change. We think that we do but ultimately we really don't and to upset the political balance could have disastrous affects.

In my opinion the best shot we have at a third party is a known and liked politician from either party branching out and running for president. Someone with an established record and ideals. I also don't think we should stop at three, let's clusterfuck it up like the UK :lol:

Just now, Lucy Kitten said:

Gary Johnson is a boob too. So is Jill Stein. One doesn't know what Aleppo is and the other is an anti-vaxer. Neither is a good choice in my book and neither party is one I would really want to affiliate with. Just because we need a third party doesn't mean that we should rush and vote for the first one that's available. As much as a third party would be great it's currently not viable. Americans don't really like change. We think that we do but ultimately we really don't and to upset the political balance could have disastrous affects.

In my opinion the best shot we have at a third party is a known and liked politician from either party branching out and running for president. Someone with an established record and ideals. I also don't think we should stop at three, let's clusterfuck it up like the UK :lol:

Well that's your opinion, but Gary actually ran a state successfully. Aleppo is a tiny thing compared  to Hilary's history. Just sayin.

9 hours ago, Kali Sensual Reiki said:

Sorry Mr Bigshot OT

Just trying to understand why Colorado has so many admidments on this ballet? I need help understanding EVERYTHING! I have had all my voting stuff next to my bed on my floor now for a couple of weeks... Just SO lost! Think I need to go to a special school to understand all this stuff!?

Help!:(

Because of all of the "big money" that is being spent on the amendments, it is hard to find out what is real.

I say vote NO on everything! Bond issues included. I don't want my taxes to go up.

Now if I could just figure out how to vote no for president. :mad:

Edited by Johnboy#1
Add

19 hours ago, MrBigShot said:

Sorry for sullying your one and only sanctuary BadBoy. This thread is all on me. I was curious to hear from this community about these important issues and had no intention of boring you with prattle. I think the discussion has been a lively one, even your protest post!

WELL, it is settled then - as I have long suspected, there is no God, or if there is, he pays no heed to my earnest prayers.

On the amendments for what its worth- n health care NO just another government take over, on primary YES on letting unaffiliated vote in primaries NO, on 4b SCFD YES YES YES

Want to end all taxation?  Stop Obamacare?  See that Hillary and The Donald get the justice they deserve?????

VOTE SMOD!!!!!!!!

CpqDA4XVUAAAtxN.jpg

2 hours ago, pointymoustache said:

On the amendments for what its worth- n health care NO just another government take over, on primary YES on letting unaffiliated vote in primaries NO, on 4b SCFD YES YES YES

On ALL the state wide amendments, not just no but hell no with only possible exception being minimum wage.  The rest are pure special interest horse shit.

18 hours ago, Lucy Kitten said:

If asked the way he was asked in the context in which he was asked, my answer would have been "what is that?" also.  And I follow the stuff closely.  Bottom line, it was a pure gotcha set-up question by a pure left wing jackass reporter who can't stand the very concept of the libertarian party.  And to some of us not knowing everything about the shit hole known as the middle east is more of a good thing than bad.  The priority should be OUR interests, not which wacko groups are killing each other over a hopelessly jacked up religion and worrying over how to stop them - you can't.

3 hours ago, Mr.Pink said:

lastest revelations will sink this crooked cunt.

So I take it you and many others support the nut job T Rump who is partnering with the country that has hundreds of nukes pointed at us and that is endeavoring to tilt the election in the favor of said total clueless ass so they (Russia) can have their way with us, NATO and Europe in general.  If T Rump being actively backed by the KGB is not enough to get you all to vote for someone else to stop his ass, there is no saving us.  Indeed we get the government we deserve when we vote the way we do.

3 hours ago, gr8owl said:

If asked the way he was asked in the context in which he was asked, my answer would have been "what is that?" also.  And I follow the stuff closely.  Bottom line, it was a pure gotcha set-up question by a pure left wing jackass reporter who can't stand the very concept of the libertarian party.  And to some of us not knowing everything about the shit hole known as the middle east is more of a good thing than bad.  The priority should be OUR interests, not which wacko groups are killing each other over a hopelessly jacked up religion and worrying over how to stop them - you can't.

I disagree and stand by thinking that whoever wants to run for president should have that knowledge. Whether or you not you care about some "jacked up religion" doesn't stop the fact the America has and always will be involved in foreign affairs. I don't think it's a gotcha question (I think the guy who asked the question is a douche though), this is something that POTUS is going to have to deal with. If every single fucking American can learn where Benghazi is and how to spell it, I think a presidential candidate should be able to answer the question he was asked. To be fair he handled it well and if anything his reaction displayed that he is pretty genuine and honest. But it seems he genuinely didn't know and he should have.

A lot of Americans interests include what's happening in Syria. No one, I know I didn't, is saying that it should be a priority. I didn't mention Aleppo to get opinions on what people think of it either. Just an example of ineptitude.

My point ultimately was that the third party vote argument just doesn't work this time around. People who are so vehemently against Hillary and Trump and encourage the third party vote aren't doing it from an educated voter place, they're doing it because they despise the other candidates. That is just as much a wasted vote as the lesser of two evils. I don't vote to vote against someone I vote for the person I think is most qualified and most closely matches my beliefs. Rather than encouraging people to vote for a third party every four years we should be consistently encouraging people to explore other parties and find the one that suits them the best. That way when election time comes we don't have the same two party frustration but a new batch of educated voters who actually have loyalty to the party they have chosen.

I am registered as unaffiliated, I traditionally vote blue but not always. I vote for who is qualified and I sincerely hope that others do too. If you really believe in Johnson, Trump, Clinton then know their policy and be able to tell people why it's a smart choice to vote for them. And not just because you don't like the other candidate.

6 hours ago, gr8owl said:

So I take it you and many others support the nut job T Rump who is partnering with the country that has hundreds of nukes pointed at us and that is endeavoring to tilt the election in the favor of said total clueless ass so they (Russia) can have their way with us, NATO and Europe in general.  If T Rump being actively backed by the KGB is not enough to get you all to vote for someone else to stop his ass, there is no saving us.  Indeed we get the government we deserve when we vote the way we do.

ummm, you do realize that crooked hillary, while secretary of state, sold russia 30% of our uranium supply. you do know they make nukes out of that stuff, right?

8 hours ago, Mr.Pink said:

ummm, you do realize that crooked hillary, while secretary of state, sold russia 30% of our uranium supply. you do know they make nukes out of that stuff, right?

You should do better resarch. You look pretty foolish.

OK, I'm going to try a different approach:  Dear Lord, smite them, smite those who opine on matters of which they know little.