Just Jos

Am I the only one?

18 posts in this topic

Having two phones has been difficult for me lately. Recently I found myself being questioned by two people in my personal life who just so happened to see my "bat phone." Naturally I had a difficult time coming up w a story, so I fumbled my words and Talked in a circle. LOL I'm thinking it might be wise for me to make the switch over to some sort of app. This is where all of you lovelies come in. Any suggestions for a user friendly -mostly glitch free app that would change my number? 

I'm trying to step out of the Stone Age here. There has got to be a more tactful way for me to go about this. I'm not a fan of google voice, so what's out there that's better? Or comparable? I'm all ears and thank you for your replies ahead of time💜

Happy Fridayyyyyy😘 

Textfree is what I use and have for a couple years now.  You can get a local number and texting is free. Or you can watch ads to get minutes on it.  I have never had any issues with it.  It's super simple and fast.  

2 hours ago, Just Jos said:

I'm not a fan of google voice, so what's out there that's better? Or comparable? I'm all ears and thank you for your replies ahead of time💜

If you don't mind me asking, what are your qualms with google voice? Curious if its a security problem... thanks babe!

6 minutes ago, Mya Midnight said:

If you don't mind me asking, what are your qualms with google voice? Curious if its a security problem... thanks babe

I have a friend who works for Google -- he recommends not to use google voice for this sort of activity. And yes, for security purposes. 

I also don't like how when someone calls it says "please hold while we try to reach the Google customer" or whatever. For some reason, I find that a little off putting. All those words to basically say-- just personal preference. 😘

Burner for  iPhone. Works well so far.

59 minutes ago, Just Jos said:

I have a friend who works for Google -- he recommends not to use google voice for this sort of activity. And yes, for security purposes. 

I also don't like how when someone calls it says "please hold while we try to reach the Google customer" or whatever. For some reason, I find that a little off putting. All those words to basically say-- just personal preference. 😘

Thanks for the insider tip, really good to know!! Yea that "please hold" bit feels kind of like an advertisement/name drop as well...

First, there is an option to disable that google voice "hold while google connects you" - just gotta know to go look for it.

Second I switched from the old prepaid phone I was using about a year ago - Burner app is really quite good with probably fewer issues than google voice (though if you want the same number forever then use google to go through burner numbers for extra safety maybe). It's cheap, especially with prepaid itunes cards that give you 20% or more off.

4 hours ago, Just Jos said:

Having two phones has been difficult for me lately. Recently I found myself being questioned by two people in my personal life who just so happened to see my "bat phone." Naturally I had a difficult time coming up w a story, so I fumbled my words and Talked in a circle. LOL I'm thinking it might be wise for me to make the switch over to some sort of app. This is where all of you lovelies come in. Any suggestions for a user friendly -mostly glitch free app that would change my number? 

I'm trying to step out of the Stone Age here. There has got to be a more tactful way for me to go about this. I'm not a fan of google voice, so what's out there that's better? Or comparable? I'm all ears and thank you for your replies ahead of time💜

Happy Fridayyyyyy😘 

The answer to "Am I the only one x?" is always no. 

I use textfree on android. Works well. Buy a chunk of minutes to get started. Then use the ads to get free minutes. I turn off the volume and run them doing stuff like posting on forums. Other plus- can turn off notifications with 2 taps. Then the phone won't buzz, and there's no scrolling message. No one would know you have the ap unless they go looking for it. Drawbacks are sometimes texts are delivered late (haven't had the problem. Seen some complaints though.) Phone service away from wifi is spotty. I drop calls a lot if I'm driving. The annoying one to me is when you talk to someone else on textree. it drops the phone number and displays the name you put in for the account (tip- put your stage name in). 

You could also purchase a Dual SIM phone - which enables you to have 2 separate lines (even with 2 different carriers if you desire) ; 2 separate phone numbers conveniently on 1 phone.  

I have used Sideline when I sell things on Craigslist, eBay and for other times when I didn't want the person I called to have my personal number without any issues.  It may meet your needs - has worked well for me.

Very good info here, I must investigate. The art of stepping out for some forbidden fruit is at least becoming a little easier. 

22 hours ago, Mya Midnight said:
8 hours ago, Danielle Rae said:

You could also purchase a Dual SIM phone - which enables you to have 2 separate lines (even with 2 different carriers if you desire) ; 2 separate phone numbers conveniently on 1 phone.  

Loving this idea. Never woulda thunk it. Thanks girl! Xo 

Hi, Jos -- Adding my two cents for Burner ( http://m.burnerapp.com ) I've used it for a couple of years and it is quite robust and they update the app with bug fixes often.  The best improvement has been adding a monthly subscription. (Previously, you paid for minutes/text that expired after a certain period & the number burned. Lost a couple numbers I wanted to keep.) You can have multiple numbers at the same time, if that is a need.

I'm not much of a voice user, so I can't comment on that, but the text feature is pretty solid. With testing, I think. Good luck. - Y

Edited by Yogi

I use callingvault.com with varying success.  I used to be very highly satisfied, but recently noticed that some texts go undelivered, which really saps my confidence when sending texts.  If/when it work, it works very well for my use case.

I've carried two phones for years....who cares what anyone thinks? One's for work and one is for personal use. Problem solved.

12 minutes ago, ChicaChaser said:

I've carried two phones for years....who cares what anyone thinks? One's for work and one is for personal use. Problem solved.

It's not solely for the purpose of what others think. I'm trying to minimize the time it takes me to get back to my regs and  get back to the ladies when I don't want to carry that work phone with me. I tend to carry very small purses and sometimes it can be a struggle fitting everything I need into those things. 

#FirstWorldHookerProblems

+1 on Textfree for iPhone and android. Simplest and IMHO the best so far plus it doesn't say "google voice is trying to connect you" letting the other person know your using a burner app. 

I'm text only anyhow so don't really worry about phone calls. 

I've used GV for .... forever without issue.