Sweet Hannah

Photography as a hobby

16 posts in this topic

I like to use my Sony A6000 camera and excited about the new lens collection I have. What kind of camera and lens do you like to use?

Well, I actually made my living as a press (and free-lance portrait and landscape) photographer for several years, and had tons of gear.  Now, I only have two setups: 1) a Canon Rebel SLR Digital with three zoom lenses; and 2) the camera that is built into my iPhone 5s.  If you remember to bring it with you, and like to play with it, the Canon can't be beat for the money - and it takes gorgeous pictures with lots of manual controls.  However, I find that I take 99+% of my current photos with my iPhone.  Most of photography is opportunity, composition and lighting, and the iPhone wins on opportunity every time.  I invariably find that as I am living my life, extraordinary photos simply occur if you are open to them (composition skills), and are largely dependent on lighting (both cameras are pretty good at capturing mood and lighting), and I never have the big setup with me.  It seems to me that the iPhone captures the image just fine and I can play with it later in the editing software.  It's not readily apparent from viewing the image on the phone, but the camera and software capture an amazing amount of raw data (shadow detail, detail in highlights, etc.) that can be brought out in simple editing software.  I'm not saying don't get good equipment, especially if you want a neat hobby, I am just advising you that as you work on your skills, practice them 24-7 with whatever camera happens to be at hand, usually the cell phone one - you may be surprised at which ones you like best.

Three cameras for me.

iPhone 6, which is always with me, and pretty much for what Badboy said.

For trips and more planned situations, I have an Olympus E-PL5 with two zoom lenses. Small (with stock lens, can fit into a pocket of my khaki shorts) and light rig, packs easily into my carry-on luggage without taking up any room. Takes great pictures, REALLY fast auto-focus, lots of manual controls. Sure, it's a 4/3 sensor vs. APS sized, but, still a honking big sensor when compared to phones and point-and-shoots.

For road-trips, I take all above and have an old Canon SD1100 P&S. Fits in a cup holder, or a compartment I have in the center console, can be worked with one had, so if I see a great shot out the car window, can make an attempt to capture it without having to pull over or take my eyes off the road. Takes really nice pictures. Also great for a situation where I don't want to take my "good" camera or phone into, for fear of damage.

Nikon d800. Full range of lenses.  I prefer 80mm f 1.4 for models. Others depending on what I am shooting. I also shoot film and have a wide range of cameras and lens. Probably own over 40 cameras...it's a tad more than a hobby for me...

I do agree with what bad boy said regarding composition.  I learned photography back in the day when you hand developed and exposed black and white film. Composition is a lost art to many...but is key to a good shot. A good eye is a good eye, and you can take an amazing picture with shit equipment, just like you can take bad photos with the best. Difference is, nowadays you don't eat the cost in film...we used to say for every 100 photos you take, one may be good ;)

I am a canon guy, but it's been awhile since I have been shooting. The subject often helps define which lens I use. Always fun to have a 50mm on my camera for some street photography. Nature I find myself with a wide angle zoom or even a macro lens for plants and bugs or whatever small stuff I find. Shooting people in various situation often use a 24-70mm and 70-200mm.

Man I need to start shooting again!

Nikon 7100 with the Nikon AV 70-300 is my choice very versatile 

Recently bought a Sony A6000. I have a total of 3 lens. I pay for Photoshop and Lightroom. I would love to make photography more than a hobby. Not sure how to get my portfolio started without really knowing anyone. I would love to meet friends to learn photoshop and lightroom. I also want boudoir photography to be my specialty. I probably put in hours of video watching to learn the technical things. Feel free to PM me with any suggestions or if you would like to model for me. How did you decide on your camera choice ?

GIMP is a must have program to run along  side photoshop plus it free. I had my Canon 5DS stolen (Lost)a few weeks ago when I traveled up to Montana for work. Took some pretty cool pics on my phone tho. 

On Saturday, January 30, 2016 at 10:42 AM, Sweet Hannah said:

I like to use my Sony A6000 camera and excited about the new lens collection I have. What kind of camera and lens do you like to use?

Do you have a 70mm lens??

19 minutes ago, Over9000 said:

Do you have a 70mm lens??

I have the kit lens 16-50, 50 mm prime lens, and a 55-210 lens. 

31 minutes ago, Over9000 said:

GIMP is a must have program to run along  side photoshop plus it free. I had my Canon 5DS stolen (Lost)a few weeks ago when I traveled up to Montana for work. Took some pretty cool pics on my phone tho. 

I have never heard of GIMP. I'll have to check it out 

^ Some people prefer it over photoshop. I would definitely check it out.

On 1/30/2016 at 10:42 AM, Sweet Hannah said:

I love my canon Rebel SLR. I use it under water in it's housing (which cost more than the camera) while scuba diving. It's all about the lens and canon has great lens for the money! Hope this helps!

I have a Sony A58 that I bought about a year and a half ago. I chose the Sony because the lenses for my old Minolta 35mm SLR would work on it. I've bought four lenses, plus I kept five of the Minolta lenses. I also bought a secondary camera about six months after that; a Sony HX50V. I got that one because I wanted to take pictures at a concert I went to last September and knew that they wouldn't allow the DSLR. The HX50V looks like an inexpensive point and shoot (it will literally fit in a shirt pocket), but it has a 20.4 megapixel sensor and a 30:1 optical zoom, with the digital zoom going up to 60:1. It worked great for the concert and I use it on any other occasion when I don't want to haul the big camera around.