Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MrFister

The horse isn't quite dead...

22 posts in this topic

I've never participated in the previous discussions around this. It's one of those discussions where nobody changes their mind and everyone gets upset. But I thought the article and related studies might be food for thought.

I've never participated in the previous discussions around this. It's one of those discussions where nobody changes their mind and everyone gets upset. But I thought the article and related studies might be food for thought.

The horse wasn't dead, so you wanted to beat it some more? :rolleyes:

l'll give my take:

It's sorta like the Gadsden Flag that the Tea Party assholes are so fond of. They display those colors to show their disdain for the Federal Government, but it turns out that during a National Emergency, those flags are handy in helping identify the dipshits that want to reduce the government to bathtub drowning size. Same thing goes for ASP's. They are entitled to their preferences/racism, but if they are kind enough to include it their ad, it makes my screening process that much easier.

That is just plain stupid. I'm not about to fuck a guy but that doesn't make me a homophobe. I just prefer women. There are many reasons a lady can refuse to see a guy and it doesn't mean she is a bad person. Just that she has her preferences and it shouldn't be a big deal.

I disagree. That would be like the age old Chevy vs Ford battle.   Everyone has a preference .  Just because someone feels different than another does not make them wrong.   

People aren't cars though, they're  sentient beings. Humans have feelings and are far more complex. The study referenced in the article states that the preference is probably based in good old racism rather than aesthetics. That's believable. If you ask someone to expound on why they don't like a particular race they usually don't have a good answer or  they go straight to stereotypes.

I can't imagine meeting someone who is so perfect for me, smart, funny, sexy and lots of common interests only to turn them down because they're the wrong race. How many movies have we seen where the ugly duckling was transformed but loved all along for their inner beauty? If we can look past ugly we can look past race. The reasons we dislike or have "preferences" are usually pretty shallow.

Edited by Lucy Kitten
too many words

The reasons we dislike or have "preferences" are usually pretty shallow.

Edited 5 hours ago by Lucy Kitten 

I guess every has a different view of shallow

The debate over whether it is "preference" or "racism" misses the obvious answer.

For some people it's a preference. For some people it's racism. For some people it's both.

The reason behind it shouldn't matter. If one chooses to see you fine, if not, that's their choice. Everyone seems to have this sense of entitlement these days, like they are entitled to things. Honestly, its sickening. Nobody is entitled to anything. 

The reason behind it shouldn't matter. If one chooses to see you fine, if not, that's their choice. Everyone seems to have this sense of entitlement these days, like they are entitled to things. Honestly, its sickening. Nobody is entitled to anything. 

People are entitled to a little respect from fellow humans.

The reasons we dislike or have "preferences" are usually pretty shallow.

Edited 5 hours ago by Lucy Kitten 

I guess every has a different view of shallow

If you are judging someone by their race and not the content of their character, isn't that shallow? If you have a bad experience with one race and refuse all the others because of that one, it's shallow. Ethnicity has very little to do with someone's personality so what is it that makes preferences based on skin color not shallow?

The debate over whether it is "preference" or "racism" misses the obvious answer.

For some people it's a preference. For some people it's racism. For some people it's both.

It wasn't such an obvious answer, it seems like no one here actually read the article.

That is just plain stupid. I'm not about to fuck a guy but that doesn't make me a homophobe. I just prefer women. There are many reasons a lady can refuse to see a guy and it doesn't mean she is a bad person. Just that she has her preferences and it shouldn't be a big deal.

That may be the worst attempt at an analogy I've run across. 

Okay. One more time. If you treat someone differently because of their race, there's a word for that. The word is "Racism". That's the definition. You can say it's okay, or say there are all kinds of reasons for it, and who knows? You may be right. But you can't say it isn't racism. Because, you know, that's what the word means. 

. But you can't say it isn't racism. Because, you know, that's what the word means. 

Exactly! giphy.gif

T. If you treat someone differently because of their race, there's a word for that. The word is "Racism". That's the definition.  Because, you know, that's what the word means. 

I hate to interrupt a perfectly good horse beating - and this nag is a zombie if it is still twitching - but no, that is not the definition of racism.  Treating someone differently solely because of their race is discrimination. (And it sucks, I hate it).  Assuming that by their unavoidable nature, dna, no choice involved, by birth one race is either superior or inferior to another - THAT is the definition of racism. For instance 'white men can't dance, got no rhythm" or "black men have bigger dicks" or black men are better athletes" or "asian men are smarter"  - THOSE are examples of racism.  Lastly, noting that a high percentage of certain groups CHOOSE to behave or conduct themselves in a certain fashion that you do not like because due to societal influences and bull shit they have been fed they think it PROVES they are "true" _________ fill in the blank - that is simple observation.  Choosing to avoid chosen behaviors one does not like is exercising preferences and choices.  Unfortunately blanket choices exclude the possibility of meeting some really fabulous people.

OK, go back to beating the remaining hide right off that pony!! Maybe a nice leather jacket, eh?

That is just plain stupid. I'm not about to fuck a guy but that doesn't make me a homophobe. I just prefer women. 

Being gay is a choice. You can choose to not stick your dick into a man's hairy buttcrack. Skin color is not a choice.

That said, I think it's perfectly fine to state your sexual or dating preferences. Anything else is just politically correct bullshit. 

For example, I'm not particularly attracted to Blondes or Asian women. I'm sure there are plenty of men who'll gladly fuck either, so it's really nobody's skin off anybody's back.

It wasn't such an obvious answer, it seems like no one here actually read the article.

I did read the article :) It does seem like sexual racism is heavily influenced by underlying racial attitudes/stereotypes. Social norms do definitely play a part in who we desire/find attractive, along with other factors such as our upbringing etc.

Interesting that they find the online dating services encourage this sort of selecting by race. It's really not too different from here, where race is specified, whether that be for provider, and in some cases for clients (NBA). Now I think about it, even providers encourage this sort of stereotyping in their ads ,ex: the spicy Latina, submissive Asian, innocent blond coed, etc etc. In any case, interesting article and maybe some of you should take a peek :)

Being gay is a choice.

Well hello Dr Carson! You ready for the debate tonight?