Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Don John

history question

13 posts in this topic

So, I'm wandering around downtown, and had some questions for some of the more senior members of the board.

-Did there used to be some brothels around downtown in the 60s-70s??

-Did some of the dancers at strip clubs also hook? Officially?? That is, could you go into, I dunno, Sid King's place and pick a girl off the stage??

-Did horny businessmen stroll up to Capitol Hill for some action back in the day?

When I was a kid, East Colfax seemed totally wild and wide open -- was it??

-Could you pick up hookers in hotel lobbies?

Not historical -- can you now?? NOT LOOKING FOR A NAME -- just in theory, does it happen that some working girls might be hanging out at a hotel bar??

Somebody should write a little pamphlet on Blue Denver or something -- the whole game's changed so much just in the last few years that it'd be good to document the way the scene used to be.

I joined the work force in the 1970's. I mainly worked at hotels and at that time the chain hotel I worked for had a regular working gal working out of the bar. She was known by name to all the employees and she was treated more as a co-worker than as a guest. Management as well as the employee knew her as someone who worked at the hotel.

At that time most of the business travelers where men. The guest would ask me where they could meet women. I would point out this gal setting at the end of the bar and tell them the rate. The guest would tip well for this information.

This was when the stock show was big in Denver and I made a lot of tips pointing out which where the working girls.

I worked a lot of hotel from one star to four star racked hotels and things have changed since my early days in the hotel business, but the way the girls where viewed didn't. They where still often treated as part of the working class, just like us grunt workers. As things changed I learned that profiting from directing guest to the working girls was illegal and I could lose my job. We where instructed to provide the guest with a copy of the Oyster newspaper. I'm sure there are still doormen/bellmen who would hustle a tip by directing you in the right direction.

Yes, you could pick up a working girl from the lobby or bar.

In the 1970s, downtown area had a variety of action going on for the lonely traveler. It was wilder than now.

East Colfax - The mile of E Colfax from Grant St east was referred to in LE as the "Magic Mile." 50% of all robberies in Denver occurred in this stretch. There were xxx arcades, some strip joints, street walkers galore, pimps with their pimpmobiles, and drugs. It was very low class, full of drugs, and dangerous. Even so, the out of state crowd wanted to go there.

Downtown had around four champagne bust out joints. They had booths with privacy drapes. You bought champagne for the ladies at $80+++ a bottle to get them in your booth. You may get a BJ, or on occasion laid, but the idea was to rack up as much money as possible on the marks credit card, typically $400 to $2000 while he was being entertained. Thus the term bust out applied.

The State Capital was where men cruised for boys.

It is rumored that I once danced on the Crazy Horse stage. I can't confirm because I was to drunk to remember:p

So, I'm wandering around downtown, and had some questions for some of the more senior members of the board.

-Did there used to be some brothels around downtown in the 60s-70s??

haha!

I may be old and feeling older every day, but no where close to being old enough to answer these questions!

I might be thinking of the wrong 70's but 1925 Market Street is The House of Mirrors owned by the infamous Mattie Silks. Great place to check out. Don't forget your tokens!

• il_570xN.311372020.jpg

Here's a link to some information on the History of Brothel's in Denver

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/search/searchterm/brothel

The men came to mine metals and the women came to mine the men mining the metals. Say that three times fast. :P

For anyone interested in Denver/Colorado/the West's history of lawlessness, the fourth floor of the library off 12th and Broadway is all local history and amazing.

The men came to mine metals and the women came to mine the men mining the metals. Say that three times fast. :P

For anyone interested in Denver/Colorado/the West's history of lawlessness, the fourth floor of the library off 12th and Broadway is all local history and amazing.

And the actual miners rarely made money (beyond breaking even). The ladies on the top floor of the saloon made money, and the men selling the mining tools made money, but the miners -- that was rare. However, a rich strike happened enough to keep hope alive.

And the actual miners rarely made money (beyond breaking even). The ladies on the top floor of the saloon made money, and the men selling the mining tools made money, but the miners -- that was rare. However, a rich strike happened enough to keep hope alive.

so even back then you needed $$ to get laid :P guess things haven't changed much only the price difference :D hehe

Back in the early 80s there was a place called the Danish World Retreat. It was on South Broadway next door to Kitty's. It was disguised as an adult store. The rooms were in the back. The girls would ask if you wanted a "Live Nude Rap Session". You would pay for the room. Once in there you would negotiate with the girl for what you wanted. Blow job, lay etc. Then pay her the "tip".

But alas, they got busted after a couple of years.

Later in the mid 80s most of the places were in Adams County. They advertised in "The Oyster." Most of them were "Lingerie Boutiques". Same deal, you pay the guy at the desk for the room, then "tip" your girl.

It was fun while it lasted.

Don John...great book called Seamy Side if Denver by Phil Goodstein...Not sure if theyre still offering seamy side of denver tours (downtown--very cool), but it's a great book! Another one is murder at the brown palace...the wild west days...lot's of "seamy" action went down at the brown palace!! Good stuff:-)

Thanks for the book recommendation! And thanks to the other posters with the colorful stories!