Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fred1964

I have been scammed

46 posts in this topic

Lesson learned. Couple of things that I scratch my head with. How come somebody called me again from the exact same number that was called the previous day from the Birmingham airport. Took them long enough to figure out there was no money. ;) and the missed phone calls and the numerous email and texts. :rolleyes:

fred just run from this hot mess of a story! these criminals just want your money! I really can't believe people fall for cons fishing for your personal info or your money!?!?!?!

get on to a website like match or eharmony if your looking for love.

if your wanna give your money to women, I think your in the right location!

I did some reading of recent news stories on "Nigerian dating scams" - what surprised me was the number of women who have been victimized by these scams. (Obviously, these crooks do not discriminate on the basis of gender, they're looking for anyone who has money they can be parted from.) For example:

Woman sends £40,000 to Nigeria in internet dating scam

A divorcee was tricked into sending £40,000 to a Nigerian con artist

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9080788/Woman-sends-40000-to-Nigeria-in-internet-dating-scam.html

Online Dating Scammer Made Off With Her Money And Heart

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/25/debbie-best-online-dating-scam_n_1959219.html

And here's a weird one with a Colorado connection:

Colorado Mother and Daughter Charged in Online Dating Scam With Fake Military Members ... the two were part of a scam since 2009 that "lured unsuspecting women to internet dating sites by posing as members of the U.S. military serving in Afghanistan. The ... 374 victims over a three year period were based throughout the United States and from 40 other countries."

So, in this case, the chief crooks were a mother and daugher from Colorado, who posed as men serving overseas in the US military, with help from "Nigerian associates", and the victims were all women.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/colorado-mother-daugther-indicted-nigerian-internet-romance-scam/story?id=16629203

You've been scammed! I feel sorry for you. Did you actually meet this (working) lady before?

Don't trust anything out of Africa. I was doing the online dating thing a while back. A girl claimed she's doing modeling in Africa (red flag) then claimed she didn't get paid need $ to get back to state side.....no further response from me.

Lesson learned: anything coming out of Africa, esp. Nigeria is likely a scam.

What was she purchasing in Nigeria? Drugs?

csm007 - I would just caution that scammers can be from anywhere (although, according to the news stories, these dating scams often are connected to Nigerian organized crime), and can claim to be from anywhere else (not necessarily where they are really from).

Take a look at this story that I quoted in my other post. In this case, the chief scammers were a mother and daughter here in Colorado - with Nigerian associates - who posed as men serving in the US military in Afghanistan. (!)

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/colorado-mother-daugther-indicted-nigerian-internet-romance-scam/story?id=16629203

Don't forget the old joke "on the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog".

(woof)

csm007 - I would just caution that scammers can be from anywhere (although, according to the news stories, these dating scams often are connected to Nigerian organized crime), and can claim to be from anywhere else (not necessarily where they are really from).

(woof)

True.. scams can come from anywhere but if the word "Nigeria" or "Africa" comes up....RUN don't WALK. They really have developed a bad reputation.

So sorry this has happened to you. Think of your trust as a gift that not everyone

deserves to get.

Make sure you do your research when you contact an ASP.

So sorry this has happened to you. Think of your trust as a gift that not everyone

deserves to get.

+1 ;)

This lady I thought was a business owner and communicated on a dating website one of the few who actually replied back. I once told her, if your not in Denver i have no interest. :rolleyes:

You are obviously not the only person in the world that has been scammed or the only person who frequents tob either. Learn from the mistake whether it be online, or in person with one of our lovely ladies who may also be inclined to scam. Do your homework and let your big head do the thinking when it comes to people asking for money. Sorry it happened to you as Jez says let the spidey sense guide you.

That is pretty terrible.... I mean, wow. I've asked some of the guys I've seen for help, and if they give me help, I take off that amount if not more for their next appointment unless they request I pay back with cash in which case I do~ BUT I never asked for help when I didn't need it and would never take when I didn't need it! I'm so sorry this has happened to you, you are a very kind person and I hope karma gets them for all the wrong they've done.

Thanks. She is now in Colorado Aspen, wherever that is. :rolleyes: some good Samaritan helped her to get there. If your in Denver why would you want to get to Aspen when I'm in Denver. Then her timestamps on her texts showed that she was 5 hours ahead of me, like i Africa. :eek: But anyways this is now a closed matter. Time to move on and book somebody, maybe. :)

Thanks. She is now in Colorado Aspen, wherever that is. :rolleyes: some good Samaritan helped her to get there.

fred: don't reveal too much...these scammers will get smarter from figuring out how you knew

that is funny. you fell for this. how about sticking with local well reviewed ladies that are verified.

No offense Fred, but now, at least in the eyes of the TOB community, I am no longer the biggest dork on this board. Not that I need their validation

No offense Fred, but now, at least in the eyes of the TOB community, I am no longer the biggest dork on this board. Not that I need their validation

What was your calling? :eek: