Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fred1964

I have been scammed

46 posts in this topic

Or at least fairly sure that I have been. I need some input. I met a lady online earlier this year. She went overseas to do some purchasing for her business. I got an email one day and she needed some help, so I helped her out. I then flat out told her if she was not in Denver I would have nothing to do with her. Fast forward to this month. I received and email from her and she was in Alabama. So she want to met up again and needs help, so like an idiot I try to help with a ticket to Denver. Then things started to get weird. Surprises here and there, she does not have money to get to the train and needs to pay here hotel bill, like another idiot i help. All the while I thinking something is not right. So she misses the train and gets a plane ticket. Well her passport is expired and I tell her get it done and get back to me. So she gets back to me. I receive a call while i am out bike riding and about her from a guy at the airport. This guy has an accent and can tell he is either overseas or from the South. Before going out on my bike ride I cancel the money that I had sent because this feeling is getting stronger. So we are emailing back and forth and I ask for a the revised plane info so I could be at the airport. She either cant read it or something else is up, because she states the plane is to arrive at DIA at 5 pm. I am looking at the info she sent and it arrives at 5 am. So I ask her to send a photo so i know what she looks like. I did a search on tiney eye and found nothing. I then searched on google images and found out her photo was on a profile in Nigeria. Well Nigeria is where she went overseas to do some buying. So I broke it off because that feeling was screaming now. If anyone would like to read the email. Please pm me. If anyone has any comments, I would entertain them. :rolleyes:

You've been scammed! I feel sorry for you. Did you actually meet this (working) lady before?

Don't trust anything out of Africa. I was doing the online dating thing a while back. A girl claimed she's doing modeling in Africa (red flag) then claimed she didn't get paid need $ to get back to state side.....no further response from me.

Lesson learned: anything coming out of Africa, esp. Nigeria is likely a scam.

What was she purchasing in Nigeria? Drugs?

Here's my input... Don't meet ladies online.

......Incredible tale of gullibility......:rolleyes:

Holy crap.

I often wonder why I get so much spam and so many robo-calls. I wonder to myself, "Why do they keep doing this? Are there really people who are THAT dumb to fall for this shit?"

Now I have my answer.

Guy, if "Fred1964" is in any way indicative of you age, then you are either 48 or 49....aren't you a little old to fall for something so obvious? You met her online...never even met her in person "......So I ask her to send a photo so i know what she looks like......" and then you help her out financially HOW many times? OMG.......

You have been staggeringly naive. Chalk it up to experience, kiss the money goodbye, and never make the same mistake again.

Whats your # I could use your help...I'm already in Denver! Lol

Oh Fred, Fred, Fred.

Your 1st mistake was being so trusting. Lead with your heart but protect your wallet. If it's real she will never ask for money.

Your 2nd mistake was posting your story. Keep your head down cuz here comes the shit storm of abuse.

I know. Being too trusting is something I would rather not have of a trait. I will know for sure tomorrow night when her flight is supposed to arrive. :rolleyes::(

I know. Being too trusting is something I would rather not have of a trait. I will know for sure tomorrow night when her flight is supposed to arrive. :rolleyes::(

You already know for sure. She's keeping you on the hook as long as she can get money from you.

Grow a pair & ditch the bitch.

You already know for sure. She's keeping you on the hook as long as she can get money from you.

Grow a pair & ditch the bitch.

She is not going to be on any flight, Fred. At least the odds are astonishingly low. Let it go.

You don't have to give your $ to anonymous Nigerian women. There are plenty of real working girls, and civilian girls, who will happily take your money and show you a good time. Hell, you may even fall in love. It happens. Learn from this. There are a lot of real fish in the ocean.

Fred, I hate to sound cuel however, you might want to invest in a helmet, bus pass for the little yellow bus and a Scoobie Doo lunch box with thermos.

Fred, I hate to sound cuel however, you might want to invest in a helmet, bus pass for the little yellow bus and a Scoobie Doo lunch box with thermos.

Awww...come on...give the guy a break.....he may not have heard of the Nigerian scam...

We all make mistakes, particularly in love. Cry for a few days (or months, in my case hehe) and move on as a stronger and smarter person.

Always,

Gina

Ranger, that ALONE was worth the price of admission! I will be laughing on that one for DAYS...and I think I'll drop it in my "don't ever lose this file"!

Sincerely,

LegalEagle

I wish I knew how to visit the Way Back Machine in the archives because I remember the discussion of how 2Big dealt with a Nigerian scam artist. That was priceless.

Knowing 2Big, I'm sure it was. If you can't find it in the archives, I'm hoping he'll re-post it.

i'll be waitin fer him to repost it. got my 'not this shit again' all ready - lol

Uh, seriously?

Someone who has not heard of Nigerian scams, Mante Teo, or, presumably, that the earth is not flat?

Wow.

Uh, seriously?

Someone who has not heard of Nigerian scams, Mante Teo, or, presumably, that the earth is not flat?

Wow.

Poor Fred has opened himself up to a firing squad. The ridicule could have actually been worse. It may get there.

Poor Fred has opened himself up to a firing squad. The ridicule could have actually been worse. It may get there.

I think Fred and his new GF are going to be ok. I'm in a position to help both of them!

Yesterday I got an email that said my $50,000 US government grant had

been approved! all I had to do was send them my bank account information to get an electronic deposit. the deposit has not come through yet because my account was closed this morning do to NSF. when the bank gets this all straightened out and I get my deposit, I'm going to help Fred and his GF out with some of my new found wealth. :D

Not too far at all. Quite appropriate, and priceless.

Hopefully the OP will learn his lesson and not repeat it.

If he doesn't, then he'll really need help.

I think Fred and his new GF are going to be ok. I'm in a position to help both of them!

Yesterday I got an email that said my $50,000 US government grant had

been approved! all I had to do was send them my bank account information to get an electronic deposit. the deposit has not come through yet because my account was closed this morning do to NSF. when the bank gets this all straightened out and I get my deposit, I'm going to help Fred and his GF out with some of my new found wealth. :D

This is quite considerate of the moderator. I applaud him on his grant. :rolleyes:

Didn't you just say something to the effect of "if you're a racist, there should be consequences..." Does that comment include racial slurs or are you excluded all together from your rules?:rolleyes:

Boink, that was hilarious....just what I needed to spice up my afternoon!

Sorry that happened Fred. There will always be sociopaths and losers that prey on nice people. My general rule of thumb; if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck.... I'm sure you have learned a valuable lesson, albeit a hurtful one. :(