Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mykallc

On my Soap-Box: the DTC "area"

18 posts in this topic

Am I the only one frustrated/confused by the use of the DTC as a providers location? It seems to me that 90%+ of the Tech Center is NOT in Denver and a vast majority of what is referred to as being in the DTC is not.

I am somewhat new to the area (< 2yrs), so correct me if I am wrong but the DTC is generally in south central Arapahoe County, partly in Greenwood Village and partly in Centennial. The area between I-25, I-225, and Yosemite St. A small part is in the city of Denver but the vast majority in Greenwood Village or Centennial. (Some parts of the Denver Tech Center used to have Littleton and Englewood addresses, which have since been replaced by Centennial when that city was incorporated.)

Why is this important? Maybe its not, and I am the only one, but when on a tight schedule, getting an address not in this area but rather in East Centennial some 6 miles SE can be a real wrench in the plan.

Now...shame on me for not doing my due diligence ahead of time, but it seems to me that an more accurate representation of an ASPs location would be good for everyone. If, for no other reason than to minimize the number of inquiries needed to narrow-down what someone means by the "DTC".

Ok..."rant" over. Have a nice day.

Not necessarily a bad rant, but you could substitute any other part of town for DTC. What is considered North Denver? Downtown? Cherry Creek? Aurora, etc? In the metro area, we don't have a lot of suburbs, but the burbs that we do have covers many miles. As far as due-diligence goes, when you have the lady on the phone or email (the first time) try and secure which part of the area she gives you.

Not necessarily a bad rant, but you could substitute any other part of town for DTC. What is considered North Denver? Downtown? Cherry Creek? Aurora, etc? In the metro area, we don't have a lot of suburbs, but the burbs that we do have covers many miles. As far as due-diligence goes, when you have the lady on the phone or email (the first time) try and secure which part of the area she gives you.

Ask for major cross streets, then make a decision.

True, this does really apply to any area. The DTC just came to mind because so many use DTC and it would be convenient for me if that's actually where they were.

As for asking for cross-streets... I have many, many times. In the afromentioned example, I had neglected to do so. It just seems uneccessary. Not to mention... as I prefer to make initial contact via email, often this request goes unanswered.

Look, I don't expect the 'industry' to adapt to my will. I was more curious if I was the only one wondering... "Why not accurately depict the location?" If your in Thornton, say so... not N. Denver. Just as Littleton and Lakewood are not SW Denver....and Dove Valley is most certainly not in the DTC.

I respect an understand an ASPs intent to be vague, but c'mon... help us out here.

True, this does really apply to any area. The DTC just came to mind because so many use DTC and it would be convenient for me if that's actually where they were.

Look, I don't expect the 'industry' to adapt to my will. I was more curious if I was the only one wondering... "Why not accurately depict the location?" If your in Thornton, say so... not N. Denver. Just as Littleton and Lakewood are not SW Denver....and Dove Valley is most certainly not in the DTC.

I respect an understand an ASPs intent to be vague, but c'mon... help us out here.

From the Google-net
Denver Tech Center

• Coloradoans rarely call the corporate complex on I-25 the Denver Tech Center. It has been shortened to
    DTC
    . Unlike downtown Denver, a
    cornucopia
    of big businesses and big buildings yet still an epicenter of Denver culture, DTC has been simplified to just big business (and medium-sized buildings) and some
    hotels.

• The DTC roughly corresponds to the area surrounding the I-25 corridor between I-225 and SH-88 (Arapahoe Road).

• DTC rode in on the coattails of Colorado's energy boom in 1970s, which also led to suburban sprawl and shopping malls. Park Meadows Mall and Southwest Plaza, just down the interstate from DTC, can more aptly be categorized as part of the aftershock, yet they are still in the same generation.

• DTC remains a removed metropolis
    ?€”about 20 to 30 minutes east of downtown Denver?€”of chain restaurants, corporations and best of all, great happy hours.

In saying that the DTC is part of the Denver metro area, the DTC has (as stated above) grown into a removed metropolis of its own.

So it would be easier to just Advertise as DTC if closely associated with it....

These exact issues , were discussed for Las Vegas NV.
    North Vegas, South Vegas. the strip - old & new, downtown & uptown...

How does one divide up a city into areas, but still maintain a hard to pin down exact location of where the providers in-call might be.

The ASP's
    have
    to be
    vague
    to protect themselves & locations.

Even when a first time client is verified & appointment is set, an ASP will still be cautious on how she guides a client to her in-call location....

• You may call it vague, she most likely will call it being careful....

Edited by Kaduk

"The ASP's have to be vague to protect themselves & locations."

Kaduk understands perfectly, xoxox

Having a general area is good enough for me.

One time I followed instructions and texted from Arapahoe rd and I25. I was then routed another 10 minutes out of the area. No big deal to me. If it makes her feel safer then okay.

Ask for major cross streets, then make a decision.

The truth

"The ASP's have to be vague to protect themselves & locations."

More paranoia.

Edited by Kaduk

Gotta agree with 2big on this one. If someone asks me major cross streets I can tell them X and Y because it's a BIG area good luck finding exactly where I am based just on that info. Once a guy passes screening he can have more exact info. Keep it simple that is the key.

Never had any problems with seeing an ASP in the DTC area. This is usually where I stay at when visiting Denver anyway & lots of times the lady is just around the next corner or just down the road. I think your reference to doing diligence ahead of time is the key to having a great session. :)

In a way the DTC is convenient for me as I live just a few miles away. My problem is that I tend to get lost every time I go there. Some places are fine, but I had to get turn by turn phone directions even with the exact address one time.

It seems I may not have framed my question correctly. However this is good discussion and I may be the only one with an issue and asking "too much". I guess I was simply trying to differentiate between vague vs TOO vague.

I honestly don't want to come across as the sketchy guy wanting too much information up front or lead a provider to question my motives/trustworthiness . I thought it would help both hobbyists and providers alike to narrow things down a bit.

By that I mean not having to make a numerous calls or wait for replies to a number of emails to weed out those who associate thier Dove Valley or Park Meadows location as being in the DTC.

I think it's worth noting that a number of the women already do this by citing which Exit or a nearby intersection.

Oh... and I thought maybe providers would appreciate not having to respond to those who would find them too far or inconveniently located.

It seems I may not have framed my question correctly. However this is good discussion and I may be the only one with an issue and asking "too much". I guess I was simply trying to differentiate between vague vs TOO vague.

I honestly don't want to come across as the sketchy guy wanting too much information up front or lead a provider to question my motives/trustworthiness . I thought it would help both hobbyists and providers alike to narrow things down a bit.

By that I mean not having to make a numerous calls or wait for replies to a number of emails to weed out those who associate thier Dove Valley or Park Meadows location as being in the DTC.

I think it's worth noting that a number of the women already do this by citing which Exit or a nearby intersection.

Some are extremely vague. I called a provider who was advertising "north Denver". the cross streets she gave me were the turnpike and 104th.

Some ASP's are extremely vague.

I called a provider who was advertising; she gave me this for the cross streets.

four-corners.jpg

Here I fixed it for Ya....
:P

Here I fixed it for Ya....
:P

You need GPS, that's south west Denver.:D

DTC is a generic area description but to some degree so are Cherry Creek, Wash Park, LoDo, etc.

I think DTC is a fairly accurate description for locations along I-25 south of East Hampden or I-225 to around East Arapahoe Rd. (Maybe even Dry Creek if you take in all the newer hotels and extended stay places added) My business is just south of Arapahoe and I still refer to the area as DTC as a general description. Technically it is Greenwood Village but Centennial, Denver, and Englewood are nearly across the street. The Denver Tech Center does not have a proper mailing address per se.

It gets even more complicated when you consider for instance S Yosemite which is a couple miles east of I-25 at Hampden but is on the west side at Arapahoe by a block.

Hell, you want vague? Tell someone Centennial.

I love providers in the DTC area. I can usually walk out of work for lunch and stroll down to the hotel and skip back after a great time.

But otherwise I will try and narrow it down a smidge so I know if I can fit an hour in or have to go shorter...