Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Velvet Valentine

Burnsley Hotel Sold

29 posts in this topic

This morning I called the Burnsley to inquire about the Executive Suite on the top floor. I wanted to rent it for something in March, only to find out that the hotel has been sold and will be closed and unavailable as of December 31st.

I feel so sad . I am assuming it's either going to be totally renovated, or turned into condos. This hotel has such a history. While the rooms have never been fantastic, and it has had some scetchy events (like that wierd terrorist suicide), I still love it...love the bar too. I've had some great times there. ....VERY great times. I hope it reopens and comes back better than ever.

Wondering if anyone else loves the Burnsley like I do? Any good Burnsley stories?

I had never actually heard of this place before now surprisingly enough, I have only lived here my whole life. It seems that I missed out on a pretty cool place too.

I'm very sad about this as well.

I had lots of great time sthere and thought the rooms were pretty awesome.

Plus right across the street @ Charlie Browns was always a great time,

easy stubbling distance away ;)

Hope it's reopened as a New and Improved Hotel;)

Not

as Condos

we will just have to wait and see

News stories over last several weeks have all said apartments/condos.

And per earlier stories, the hotel is actually closing on the 13th. So if anyone wants to at least go to the bar/restaurant, do it real soon (one of the stories mentioned they are not taking any new reservations for rooms in the remaining days, only honoring existing reservations).

What bummer, I had a wonderful time there and was very impressed with the rooms. I thought the place was beautiful!

The Burnsley was one of my favorite Denver hotels and by far the best deal close to downtown. It was kinda tired and dated, the hallways were cramped, the food in the restaurant was really not very good...but the rooms were huge, they all had a living room and a full kitchen, and big balconies with great views of the city from the upper floors. Free covered parking in the garage, too. They had a day rate and the staff was very cool, if ya know what I mean...;)

It was likely the last privately owned hotel in downtown. But Mrs Burns had a tough time keeping the place going since her husband passed and in the current market that is some very valuable real estate.

wow, fister, the name spike robinson sure brought the memories flooding back. in those years when i was working for shysters downtown, the burnsley was the preferred trysting place for that set and charlie brown's was the watering hole/pickup joint.

Wondering if anyone else loves the Burnsley like I do? Any good Burnsley stories?

Never checked in nor been in any of their rooms . But used to go there very often for the great live music :) Some very talented musicians performed there.

Everything in the bar is half off, as in happy hour 24/7 as they try to sell the inventory before they close the place. My party of 3 was the only ones in there the other day. Stop by for a final cheers!:)

that stinks! it was a unique utr hotel for sure! wonder what it's next phase will be???

I actually got to know Joy Burns quite well. She and her late husband were very philanthropic, much of DU has been built and renovated with their money. My daughters grew up figure skating in the Joy Burns Arena there. Wonderful people with wonderful hotels. It will be missed.

Aw no, I hate to read this Velvet. I jave great memories of the Burnsley. I would spend a couple days at the minimum with my client. He loved my big ol hound, the late great Toto so all three of us would spend a few days. The hotel staff were friendly and they loved big dogs. The penthouse suite is pretty cool also. I hope it is not turned into condos.

Yes...I just visited there this weekend...it is sad to see such a handsome Landmark disappear..Good News though, the bar has scrumptious 3 dollar martinis from now till close...yum..nice place for a date...Dianna

All of Capitol Hill is changing. One can argue for the better or for the worse. I made it my home for well over a decade and saw the change coming when the landlords started to let parents co-sign for their kids apartment leases and Craig Nassi solidified it. It has changed drastically. CHUN is try to make East 13th into a "Highlands" like area.

Back in the 80's the skinheads use to roam freely. In the 90's, it was a place of mystery and fascination or fashionation :P. The sign of the times is when they closed the White Spot (and did nothing with it for well over 11 years) off of Broadway. I lived at the Sherman Tower, now called the Mezzo and my friends and I use to go to the White Spot for the 2 for 1 burger Wednesdays and then went to the Mayan Midnight Matinee (I met Pam Grier there). There was a cool chick named "Kitty" that worked there and was friends with my sister at Sally's. She had a weird friend named "Waffle" but it was all cool. CH is one of the most convenient and fun places to live. It started to make me lazy. Its identity has changed over the decades and currently is in transition. Hopefully Charlie Brown's will stick around (as long as George stays out of trouble:p). The Chateau apartments are still quaint. Poet's Row still makes a good dog walk. And Cherry Creek Trail is good for biking but has become VERY crowded. Any who, check it out:

http://www.leonardleonard.com/neighborhoods/walkingtours.shtml

http://www.pbase.com/pzo/image/8192534

All of Capitol Hill is changing. One can argue for the better or for the worse. I made it my home for well over a decade and saw the change coming when the landlords started to let parents co-sign for their kids apartment leases and Craig Nassi solidified it. It has changed drastically. CHUN is try to make East 13th into a "Highlands" like area.

Back in the 80's the skinheads use to roam freely. In the 90's, it was a place of mystery and fascination or fashionation :P. The sign of the times is when they closed the White Spot (and did nothing with it for well over 11 years) off of Broadway. I lived at the Sherman Tower, now called the Mezzo and my friends and I use to go to the White Spot for the 2 for 1 burger Wednesdays and then went to the Mayan Midnight Matinee (I met Pam Grier there). There was a cool chick named "Kitty" that worked there and was friends with my sister at Sally's. She had a weird friend named "Waffle" but it was all cool. CH is one of the most convenient and fun places to live. It started to make me lazy. Its identity has changed over the decades and currently is in transition. Hopefully Charlie Brown's will stick around (as long as George stays out of trouble:p). The Chateau apartments are still quaint. Poet's Row still makes a good dog walk. And Cherry Creek Trail is good for biking but has become VERY crowded. Any who, check it out:

http://www.leonardleonard.com/neighborhoods/walkingtours.shtml

http://www.pbase.com/pzo/image/8192534

I was always pleased when I found out that a lady's "downtown" location turned out to be the Burnsley. It sort of felt like going back home as I used to live on Poets Row and the Sherman Tower from the early 80's to the mid 90's. I used to hang out on the Hill and the 'fax years before then. It sure has been Yuppified since those wild days. I can remember back in the 70's the gay hookers hanging out around the capital while the johns drove in circles looking to make a pickup and Civic Center park has always been an open air drug market. One of the things I loved about the area was that I could go to a different bar or restaurant every day for a month and never have to go farther than walking distance.

Ah yes...the old days. All you newcomers missed out on Denver in it's prime.;)

My old stomping grounds. I went to East High in the '70s and lived with my mom ar 12th and Pennsylvania...Penn Square was what it was called back then. Somebody mentioned the White Spot. After their divorce, my dad introduced us kids to his new future wife there. He passed away last year...we're all still taking care of her. I get really sentimental when I'm down in that area, now. I can't count the number of times I rode my bike, walked, or drove past the Burnsley. Never went inside. After we got married, my first wife and I lived across the street from the Governer's Mansion.

A great neighborhood. Alas...everything changes. Damn, I feel old this morning.

I was always pleased when I found out that a lady's "downtown" location turned out to be the Burnsley. It sort of felt like going back home as I used to live on Poets Row and the Sherman Tower from the early 80's to the mid 90's. I used to hang out on the Hill and the 'fax years before then. It sure has been Yuppified since those wild days. I can remember back in the 70's the gay hookers hanging out around the capital while the johns drove in circles looking to make a pickup and Civic Center park has always been an open air drug market. One of the things I loved about the area was that I could go to a different bar or restaurant every day for a month and never have to go farther than walking distance.

Ah yes...the old days. All you newcomers missed out on Denver in it's prime.;)

Never had an appointment there but used to listen to Spike Robinson play there in the 80's.

Me too. He used to play up in Boulder at the Walrus, then I lost track when he quit playing there. Found him at the Burnsley a few years later. Great room for his kind of sax- small, smoky. Good times.

Dayum! Loved this hotel. Excellent rooms, especially the suites. Used to plan my Denver visits around the Saturday night jazz shows..

I don't have any out of the ordinary Burnsley anecdotes but would like to hear (or read) more about the terrorist. :eek:

That was a Great Place! I had been there three times in the past with 3 different Florida ladies that would come to Denver from a Florida Agency. What fond memories I have of 3 great ladies & pleasant hotel accommodations.

I enjoyed a fantatic overnight date there with a now retired provider. Loved sitting on the balcony in the morning having coffee before we slipped back inside for "one for the road." After that I took her over to the Cathedral since she had never been inside it. It was fun being two sinners strolling through the church.

I'm sad to hear this. It was a great hotel. Loved the big rooms and location was good.