Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fork

Illegal to sell

14 posts in this topic

I was thinking about my signature (in a fit of narcissism):

"Selling is legal, fucking is legal. So why isn’t it legal to sell fucking?" - George Carlin

Good question, George. Is there anything else that is legal to give away, but illegal to sell?

The only thing I can think of are politicians who aren't allowed to make money from speeches while in office. They can speak for free but not for money. I'm not even positive this is a law, but I think it is. In any case it is a pretty narrow circumstance.

That, and fucking are the only things I can think of. What else am I missing?

Intellectual property like video games and music. You can buy but once you do if you try to re-sell it you're in trouble. Maybe not quite the same but the best I can come up with. You should move to Nevada where it is legal or work to change the laws.

You can make beer and wine at home. You can give it away but you can't sell it. It's still illegal to make distillates.

Like other things in life, if someone gives you empty bottles to fill in a paper bag anything in the bag is now yours. ;)

Intellectual property like video games and music. You can buy but once you do if you try to re-sell it you're in trouble. Maybe not quite the same but the best I can come up with. You should move to Nevada where it is legal or work to change the laws.

I don't think that's true. You can resell music and video games.

I am wondering if there's a tact here for a covert way to change the laws. For example, abortion foes haven't had much success with laws making abortion illegal when they spell it out, so they shift the wording to talk about "personhood" instead. In the same way, would a proposal to make it legal to "buy and sell all goods and services which are legal to possess or perform" get further than a proposal to make prostitution legal?

Sounds like good old American capitalism to me. Who can argue with that?

I was thinking more along the digital line and DLC as opposed to the physical copies. Napster comes to mind.

Is there anything else that is legal to give away, but illegal to sell?

There is a certain type of vintage ammo the name of which I forgot. Probably many firearms-related items apply here.

General advice, some forms of birth control, endangered species, trade secrets, stock tips...

Interesting how it is illegal to "give away" body fluids in many situations while you can go sell your blood/eggs/sperm in the right place.

You can sell anything with the right license in the right place.

I was thinking about my signature (in a fit of narcissism):

"Selling is legal, fucking is legal. So why isn’t it legal to sell fucking?" - George Carlin

Good question, George. Is there anything else that is legal to give away, but illegal to sell?

The only thing I can think of are politicians who aren't allowed to make money from speeches while in office. They can speak for free but not for money. I'm not even positive this is a law, but I think it is. In any case it is a pretty narrow circumstance.

That, and fucking are the only things I can think of. What else am I missing?

Intellectual property like video games and music. You can buy but once you do if you try to re-sell it you're in trouble. ...

Actually it's worse than that. There's a move afoot to make it illegal to resell products which contain patented features. I'd lost the links, but they got refreshed by an email I received. Check out this article in The Atlantic and this website. It has to do with the "first sale" doctrine of copyright law and goods of foreign manufacture.

Check out this article in The Atlantic and this website. It has to do with the "first sale" doctrine of copyright law and goods of foreign manufacture.

Jeez, that's absurd. Let's hope the courts do not screw this one up.

With all the big business pressure and the tenets of our "throw away society", they(courts) probably will (screw up)!

If you can't sell your old iPad to someone on eBay, you'll just throw it away and both you & your potential buyer will have to buy a new one (2 sales).

On the other hand, you could just decide to keep the one you've got and since your buyer can't afford full price, neither of you buys a new one (0 sales).

See, it's too easy not to screw it up.

Edited by Bit Banger
Format

And of course without the ability to sell your media you're going to buy less so you don't get burned by not liking it. Well, me anyway.