Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wendy Whitney

Can't call Verizon Phones with a Google Number - help!

6 posts in this topic

Any help or advise is greatly appreciated.

I have a Google number and an iPhone 4S on Sprint. The Google Voice and Mail Application is downloaded on my phone.

I noticed there were some people I just couldn't call from my Google number. I would dial the number and I would be connected with someone that wasn't the person I was calling.

So I started asking these people what kind of phone they have, who their carrier is, etc.

I have narrowed down the problem to prepaid cell phones and anyone on the Verizon network. I can't call anyone from my Google number that has a prepaid phone or Verizon. I don't want a second phone, one phone is enough!

Has anyone else experienced the same problems?:confused:

Edited by Wendy Whitney
typo

What he said.

And don't forget, Google Voice is basically an experiment by Google. For me, has worked great, but because this is an experimental software product that connects to the real phone system via a slew of 3rd party broadband providers, the service does have glitches and many possible points of failure. The Google help forums have slews of incidents over the years where folks have issues with pre-paid and or Verizon (and T-Mobile) connections, forwarding, voicemail etc.

Guess what I'm saying is: maybe a different phone/number for business since Google Voice cannot be trusted to have the up-time and smoothness of operation that a "real" phone/number would have.

What he said.

And don't forget, Google Voice is basically an experiment by Google. For me, has worked great, but because this is an experimental software product that connects to the real phone system via a slew of 3rd party broadband providers, the service does have glitches and many possible points of failure. The Google help forums have slews of incidents over the years where folks have issues with pre-paid and or Verizon (and T-Mobile) connections, forwarding, voicemail etc.

Guess what I'm saying is: maybe a different phone/number for business since Google Voice cannot be trusted to have the up-time and smoothness of operation that a "real" phone/number would have.

Miss Wendy, thank you kindly for that information. I shall do so research and see what I can find out!!

You rock my friend!

My advice would be to get a TracFone. I don't know anything about Google voice or Sprint.

UPDATE - I now know how to call Verizon phones (thanks to a wonderful man who sent me an email with instructions)! He is a life saver!

"Manually dial your google voice # from the registered phone, enter your pin and then option 2 to dial a number. You need to put a 1 in front of the number."