Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buckinbronco

TOB as active as you would like it to be?

Is TOB active enough for you?   19 members have voted

1. 1. Is TOB active enough for you?

• yes
    • no
    • don't care

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 posts in this topic

I don't know why tob isn't as active as it could be, I always see

100 + "viewing" but rarely any new posts or replys. Why you think that is? Is it as active enough for you?

I don't know why tob isn't as active as it could be, I always see

100 + "viewing" but rarely any new posts or replys. Why you think that is? Is it as active enough for you?

You've been posting for all of two months, it might be a little early to be worrying about how active TOB could be.

However, a couple of things:

Like any forum, TOB is dependent on its constituency for content. Good job posting something...:rolleyes:

The number of "viewers" can be deceptive.(Here's a tip: look at the "Who's Online" link sometime. It can be very informative);)

Near as I can tell, with minor variations, TOB is as active as it ever is.

I really don't feel it matters how long I've been here or not the point is I'm here now and really enjoy this community, maybe I didn't make myself quite as clear as to the question in general, it really came off the fact that there is always 100+ "viewers" but really only a handful that actually participate on the board. And As for the "viewers" being deceptive it actually might just be very close to being accurate the "Who's online" link I suppose is only in regards to members who are logged in. You can still access the site without doing so and that's where I think alot of the 100+ viewers are, that's what I was implying, if there are that many "viewers" it should would be nice for them to get involved and TOB would be very active.

I know there's been post from people who've just joined the board referring to themselves as "lurkers" that's been "lurking" around for awhile and finally signed up. I guess those "viewers" are "lurkers" waiting for the right time to get their TOB cherry popped.

It would be VERY active if alot more people who were viewing participated, you see posts with 160 views and 4 replys. Not really a big deal just wondered if anyone else thought the same, so far from the poll results they do.

Happy Hobbying.

Edited by buckinbronco
last part added to post

Not sure what you mean by "active". About the same number of topics, only a handful of which look interesting enough to me to even open and read. Posters of the past like Donny Dark, Southern Boy and a few others made it much more interesting to browse here. :cool:

I know there's been post from people who've just joined the board referring to themselves as "lurkers" that's been "lurking" around for awhile and finally signed up. I guess those "viewers" are "lurkers" waiting for the right time to get their TOB cherry popped.
I was one of those lurkers for awhile b/c I didn't think I had anything worth noting to post. I jumped in the deep end, got spanked a few times and adjusted in. Even if there are 200 viewers online, I'd say only 1/3 are Active that can post. If there were 67 that could post, it's still the 80/20 rule.

I agree with past posters, but if it's something to stir the proverbial TOB pot, that thread will yield many o' posts (rate, race, why I get freebies/discounts, P411's on ladies that have been discussed ad nausuem etc.)

I really don't feel it matters how long I've been here or not the point is I'm here now and really enjoy this community, maybe I didn't make myself quite as clear as to the question in general, it really came off the fact that there is always 100+ "viewers" but really only a handful that actually participate on the board. And As for the "viewers" being deceptive it actually might just be very close to being accurate the "Who's online" link I suppose is only in regards to members who are logged in. You can still access the site without doing so and that's where I think alot of the 100+ viewers are, that's what I was implying, if there are that many "viewers" it should would be nice for them to get involved and TOB would be very active.

It would be VERY active if alot more people who were viewing participated, you see posts with 160 views and 4 replys. Not really a big deal just wondered if anyone else thought the same, so far from the poll results they do.

Happy Hobbying.

*Sigh*

No junior, my point is that you have not been contributing very much for very long to be observing that there is not enough participation.

In re the "Who's Online" link: if you actually look at it you will notice that while there may be 100+ viewers, who are they(bots/spiders?), and what are they doing? The number of reads a post gets, or the number of people reading them is not reflective. For example, if I open TOB(but do not log in) and then click the Review Database link, I will then be looking at the reviews, but there will still be a notation that there is another "viewer" looking at the main index for about 15 minutes. I'm not actually viewing the forum, but I get credit for being another viewer. Similarly, when a post gets 14-15 replies, it goes to a second page and gains a life of its own. When you read a multiple page post, every "page" you read gains another hit on the view counter. For example: if I open a post with 5 pages and read the entire thing, voila! 5 more "views" on the counter. Conversely however, if I do log in as a member before I link to the reviews(or EB etc.) then I've engendered 2 viewers on the list. I'm sure that things are set up this way so the board owner can sell advertising based on the size of the constituency(which, at the moment, is irrelevant...).

My ultimate point is this: if you want more participation, participate more; but don't waste any skull sweat worrying about a bunch of phantom lurkers! :D

Not sure what you mean by "active". About the same number of topics, only a handful of which look interesting enough to me to even open and read. Posters of the past like Donny Dark, Southern Boy and a few others made it much more interesting to browse here. :cool:

Just click on the "reviews" and "views" tab and you'll see what gets replies and views.

This ain't rocket science.:cool: