Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Beverly Fisher

Sex Addiction and Unnecessary Risks

11 posts in this topic

I've often wondered if I'm deluded -- I feel good about what I do, and see it as positive, even healing.

But from the perspective of some folks, my choice of profession and the risks I take could indicate addiction.

Now, I've gone the rounds with other types of addiction, traipsed my way through the Steps more than once, in my younger years. My sexual behavior and work doesn't feel like addiction to me.

I've come to avoid some risks -- I don't tour to cities with a hardcore LE presence, for example. I screen differently than I once did.

I think of my clients, too. Some take some pretty crazy risks in order to see providers.

Any kind of addiction has to be determined by the individual, not by anyone else. But if a client tells me he has a sex addiction issue, I will refuse to see him thereafter -- as a kindness. I don't want to contribute to anyone's pain. It's the most supportive thing I can do.

Sex and Love Addicts Anonymous has a list of 40 questions to ask oneself, to start thinking about one's relationship to sexuality. I'm not sure how I feel about these questions. But have a peek, if you're interested: http://www.slaafws.org/40questions

Do you think you take unnecessary risks? Or that addiction may be an issue for you? Just curious....

xxxooo

Beverly ;-*

Hmm. Serious, thoughtful discussion and self-introspection may just be a bit too much today. :rolleyes:

We now return you to your regularly scheduled board.

funny-pictures-kitten-likes-stupid-jokes.jpg

Heh! :P

xxxooo

Beverly ;-*

Do you think you take unnecessary risks? Or that addiction may be an issue for you? Just curious....

xxxooo

Beverly ;-*

No and No, of course I'm older and got all the risk taking out of my system years, OK maybe decades, ago .............

Depending on your definition of unnecessary risk, one might consider taking part in this hobby/industry an unnecessary risk.

Depending on your definition of unnecessary risk, one might consider taking part in this hobby/industry an unnecessary risk.

Exactly...

Some people would say that's true.

I guess we all have to define what risk is, and what unnecessary is, for ourselves.

I just wonder sometimes if we take risks without really weighing the possible consequences.

xxxooo

Beverly ;-*

Sex addiction no , addiction to money yes, unnecessary risk yes in more ways then one.

Lilithia

I answered "yes" to more questions than I thought I would.

Maybe I'm in denial or maybe I'm just in my twenties, but I think I enjoy sex. I don't think I'm addicted.

However, I get more than enough physical lovin' at the moment. I suppose that if/when I really quit the biz I'll definitely find out whether or not I'm addicted.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUkk6LvLJ_so4BtCIRjy-HVOPqdebwQzEuBHCa3zhLmTag4vzG

I agree with lilithia, the addiction is not to sex, it is addiction to risk, attention, power, adrenaline, and/or the money.

Sorry to have difficulty taking this topic seriously, but I've always wondered...

What goes on at SA meetings??!

I mean, to me it sounds like an orgy just waiting for the right person to push the button...

...I like pushing buttons... maybe I'll skip the swinger's club tonight and hit an SA meeting... :D

...but on a more serious note, in a country as sexually repressed as this one I think we need to fuck more and worry less.

just my cents :)

and to flaunt my immaturity: I can't look at that picture without cracking up... and I've looked more than a couple times... :P

Exactly...

Some people would say that's true.

I guess we all have to define what risk is, and what unnecessary is, for ourselves.

I just wonder sometimes if we take risks without really weighing the possible consequences.

xxxooo

Beverly ;-*

It does not matter what you do for a living, there are risk's. A desk job has its risks. As does a flagger working in traffic, and engineer working on a bridge or a nurse working in a hospital. If you do what you do day after day, are you addicted? You can't stop yourself, these are things you must do. Kinda like eating.

It depends on your approach. I see people (those with an approach like yours) as care givers. And I count my blessings you are doing what you do.