Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stevie

Spelling

30 posts in this topic

Who cares if someone misspells something if it get the point across and you know they are trying to say! So many people are on phones these days and their not so smart, so give it up you spelling nazi!

Who cares if someone misspells something if it get the point across and you know they are trying to say! So many people are on phones these days and their not so smart, so give it up you spelling nazi!

It's not misspelled, but it's "they're" not "their". :P

Since I speak "several different" languages I always miss spell. ;)

Since I speak "several different" languages I always miss spell. ;)

Greek, Russian, and French? :D

Note to self: New SOP: let spelling errors go; rip everyone new ones over homonym misuse.

Got it. I had to ad it to my list, to.:D

It is a pet peeve of mine, spelling is perceived as an indication of intelligence or lack of, but I am not going to be the forum spell check.

Note to self: New SOP: let spelling errors go; rip everyone new ones over homonym misuse.

Got it. I had to ad it to my list, to.:D

In linguistics, a homonym is, in the strict sense, one of a group of words that share the same spelling and the same pronunciation but have different meanings.[1] Thus homonyms are simultaneously homographs (words that share the same spelling, irrespective of their pronunciation) and homophones (words that share the same pronunciation, irrespective of their spelling).

Rip :P

Spelling & word misuse bother me too. As a former engineer writing specifications, design documents, and user manuals, I learned the value of precise language. Correct English was just as important as correct FORTRAN or C.

if it get the point across

This is the problem. Posts with misspelled words often DON"T make sense. I prefer to NOT have to decode what you are trying to say. :cool:

Because it's better to try to help someone learn than to let them continually make the same mistake. That's why.;)

The occasional misspelled word is nothing, and not what people are complaining about. Posts that are so full of misspellings and homonym misuse that they are incoherent when read literally, that every reader has to stop mid-sentence multiple times, sound out the words, and think for a split second in order to determine what was said--that's the bullshit people are complaining about. Not taking time to use the correct words when you write, but instead expecting each reader to take the time to figure it out, is extremely inconsiderate. I take it as a sign of a self-absorbed and rude personality.

Louisville42 pretty much sums it up.

If someone writes a string of gibberish then why should I waste my time caring what that person wrote? I have learned that life is too short to like everyone, and illiteracy is a good filter.

Go watch the movie Idiocracy and see if that's the kind of world you want to live in.

So many people are on phones these days

This line of reasoning bugs me - it's simply used as an excuse for people who are lazy in other forms of written communication (email, forums, etc.) as well. My emails and texts from my phone get the same attention as when I'm sitting in front of my computer. There is no reason that an extra few seconds can't be taken to properly capitalize and punctuate when writing on a phone.

It's called spell check...that red line under each misspelled word is screaming at you to change it. And if guys are going to slam providers for spelling mistakes and poke fun at their perceived limited intelligence, then don't be all butt hurt when you get some of it your way.

And for you to piss in the wind about this is laughable...you who loves to insult providers.

Who cares if someone misspells something if it gets the point across ...

Misspelling is ok. But you might want to learn how to conjugate your verbs. :rolleyes:

FORTRAN!

I thought I was the only one left that bought cases of cards, punched them full of wholes, decoded synax errors, then run it again. Some people don't realize what they have at their fingertips and what it took to get here.

I am not a great speller, so it's hard to be critical. But I don't like it when the text is not well thought out and compounded by poor grammer and spelling.

I just look for consistency in spelling. If one consistently misspells words or lack proper use of grammar, than more than likely I will move on. We all don't have to have degrees from Harvard or Oxford, but a little correct spelling and grammar goes a mighty long way!

picture-1.png

Grammar-is-important.png

funny-argument-correct-grammar-quote.jpg

... My emails and texts from my phone get the same attention as when I'm sitting in front of my computer. ...

Agreed! If I have difficulty responding on the phone, I wait until I get to a real keyboard.

Stevie may consider you the "grammer nazi":)

Stevie may consider you the "grammer nazi":)

He thinks the crowd doesn't get what he is saying because they are too focused on grammer, but in reality the crowd nit-picks his grammer because they don't like what he is saying.

I could not resist putting this in.

if yuo can raed tihs, you hvae a sgtrane mnid, too.

Can you raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

J.

I could not resist putting this in.

if yuo can raed tihs, you hvae a sgtrane mnid, too.

Can you raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

J.

I can always read those weird things. I'm not sure what that means...:eek:

[...] you might want to learn how to conjugate your verbs. :rolleyes:

Anything conjugal is between two consenting adults; we pay only for time!

Nice! Able to read that easily enough it's hard for me to believe only 55 out of 100 can read it.

Its just a sign of the times,..our education system sucks, people have no sense of pride or purpose. The weak shall inherit the earth. By the way, fortran was shit hot especially when you dropped your cards...ctrl c

Because it's better to try to help someone learn than to let them continually make the same mistake. That's why.;)

+1

Friends don't let friends make grammatical or spelling errors in public.

Misspelling is ok. But you might want to learn how to conjugate your verbs. :rolleyes:

Oh the irony! LMFAO!:D

funny-picture-17339.jpg

It's called spell check...that red line under each misspelled word is screaming at you to change it. And if guys are going to slam providers for spelling mistakes and poke fun at their perceived limited intelligence, then don't be all butt hurt when you get some of it your way.

<nelson-muntz>HAH HAH</nelson-muntz>

And for you to piss in the wind about this is laughable...you who loves to insult providers.

Lack of punctuation, sloppy spelling, general lack of care--all these are signs of a lack of respect for the people here, which is perfectly consistent with stevie's general attitude.

I can always read those weird things. I'm not sure what that means...:eek:

It means you're a high-skilled reader. If you still read by sounding out words like you did in 1st grade, then those things are incomprehensible. If you read by scanning and recognizing word shapes, then you can read that crap because word "shapes" are derived much more from consonants than vowels.