Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
2Big

Ladies, Using 3/4 Of Your Signature Space For Ads Makes You Look Stupid And Desperate

99 posts in this topic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beverly Fisher viewpost.gif

... Bandwidth concerns -- you can turn off the ability to see sigs. Easy-peasy. In your User CP, ...

Done - Thank you for pointing this out. You learn something every day.

^This... is probably the most valuable info on this thread.^ And Imma do this.

I hadn't participated much on this subject, other'n posting my opinion.

Prior to this new rule taking effect, I have always agreed with Oxy's reasonings for allowing sigs, and I defer to whatever wishes Admin. decides.. but I did at that time warn regarding this can-o-worms being opened.

The professional product/service forums I personally participate in do NOT allow anything more than text signatures with text links. I'm there to read.. maybe sometimes offer a post or two.

There is no hidden disagreement with a "woman-run" board or such. As a user, I like a clean reading experience.. simple as that. And for the record, I've always scrolled past the ALL the sigs. that I thought were garish.. including, (and maybe especially), a few of the dudes' sigs.

In part of my "canned" infraction/warning text that I send new ASPs, I try to guide them in using the board for marketing with this:

Contact info can be placed within your profile, and interested parties can find it there, if you participate in any of the discussions. At that stage, you may consider Private Messages as a form of working your presence.

Now I can change that to read "within your profile and signature"..

My point is (IMHO).. the value to the prospective client is not how eye-catching or pretty or flashy or large or animated a person's signature line is. It should be the content of the post.

Edited by Mace
content

...the value to the prospective client is not how eye-catching or pretty or flashy or large or animated a person's signature line is. It should be the content of the post.

Slightly off topic, but ^^this^^!

Read all of it NUSA, but I have to quote Arthur C. Clarke here.

" Any significantly advanced technology is indistigushable from magic."

You do, that voodoo, that we all love so well....at least for those like me that almost get it.

Personally, I like the changes. I’ve been working on my “must see” list and having the links to websites, reviews, and p411 is really handy. If somebody doesn’t like the advertising, they don’t have to click on the links!

This was always possible, it was just an extra click or two away.

I would once again like to point out that when I used a GIF of 2 girls making out or titties bouncing, which used WAY WAY WAY more bandwidth (which nusa pointed out with exact numbers) NOBODY, and I repeat NOBODY complained. So, once again, it's not about the size and bandwidth being used, so please retire this tired ass argument already, would you. Spanks!

I can't state the desires and opinions of individual users, but there is plenty of evidence that sexually charged content is very popular on the board and there is plenty of evidence that the profiles you present in your signiture and avitar's are very popular on the the board.

I can also look at what happened after the fact and see that the loading of the 2 girls making out did have an impact on how fast the board loaded threads that you posted on. The titties bouncing gif is the same kind of content, but the picture was smaller and didn't have much influence on loading threads that you posted on. You change your profile with regular frequency and you didn't actually voilate any rules at the time you put up that gif. I'm not in the extreme camp with a limited point of view that says, "A provider used a picture that was too large one time, so let's remove all the pictures that the providers post"

I can speculate that particularly with the 120 pixel limit that providers will end up only having enough space for the links they are allowed to post and no room for anything else on the signiture to create a "posting identity".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beverly Fisher viewpost.gif

My point is (IMHO).. the value to the prospective client is not how eye-catching or pretty or flashy or large or animated a person's signature line is. It should be the content of the post.

+1 Exactly how I feel about it and if one of the ladies had posted this simple one sentence answer it would be accompanied by a large flashy ad.;)

...Happy Hobbying...

...Crazy Horse...

Crazy Horse, just drop the nickname, the avitar, the two quotes and the youtube video in your signiture. You don't actually need that stuff to post, however without that stuff you don't have a personality on the board and your posts won't influence the crowd as much. Even 2Big and Mr. Reindeer have avitar's and signitures that are chosen to set a tone for thier posts even if the only thing they get from thier avitar's is the fact that the crowd remember's it's them.

The provider's who are working on these signitures are trying to create a "posting identity" for themselves and at the same time they are longing for a presence on the board that is considered positive and beneficial by thier standards. This thead is a good example of the uphill battle they are going through on the board right now as it's apparently okay to classify the provider's as "stupid and desperate" because they simply want to make the most of a new board rule.

Beverly asked people for their thoughts on the matter and I gave her mine. Why do you feel the need to find objections with them rather than give her your own thoughts. I did it respectfully and when did I ever imply that they were ever "stupid or desperate" or doing anything they didn't have a perfect right to do.

As for creating a "posting identity" I think Mace put it best in a post farther down this thread:

...Happy Hobbying...

...Crazy Horse...

Edited by Crazy Horse
spelling

So the ban on advertising is gone. Makes no sense to edit advertising posts of the new girls if the "regulars" can advertise every single time they post. And some of them post a lot...a whole lot. So now they get free advertising...a lot of free advertising.

Place kind of reads like the inside of a Vegas cab now. TO would have nuked that shit in a New York minute for sure.

And the bandwidth thing......stupid argument, lame linkable banners are not eating all that much bandwidth. The free advertisement just makes the forum trashy. But then again we are in dysfunction junction so WTH. Not my place and I could really care less but the forum rules should be edited and the no advertising rule taken out since now advertising is part and parcel of the land. No need for Mace to edit anymore either.

To be consistant I took out my sig. I am going to miss my fucking squirrel....a lot.

"To be consistant I took out my sig. I am going to miss my "fucking" squirrel....a lot."

That a boy. I doubt many of us will miss it either. Talk about disgusting! :eek: