Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
2Big

Ladies, Using 3/4 Of Your Signature Space For Ads Makes You Look Stupid And Desperate

99 posts in this topic

Who started this ridiculous trend?

Put the info into your avatar, instead of these flashing banners, advertising "This snatch for sale."

Put the info into your avatar, instead of these flashing banners, advertising "This snatch for sale."

Respectfully disagree. Let's be honest here. The ladies are here to exchange info and to advertise, not to visit with us because we're such wonderful, fascinating conversationalists. Yeah, the particulars like appearance and cost can easily be determined by going to the "real" ads like EB or BP. Hpwever, you can't get a good feel for a lady's personality unless you spend some time talking with her (i.e. reading her posts). I believe my selections have been better because of this.

I suspect rules for this specific type of advertising allow a banner of a certain size with certain content. If taking full advantage of this makes them look desperate, then driving the full speed limit instead of 10-20 mph slower is an act of desperation as well, and I'm the most desperate guy in the universe.

Yeah, when I'm posting on a board where my customers can find me, I don't want them to think I might be available for work. <sarcasm font off>

Your personal preferences don't translate into "the smart thing to do". :rolleyes:

I have to agree (partially) with 2Big on this one. "... Stupid and Desperate", not exactly. But 1cm of text followed by 4cm of advertisement is not my idea of fun board reading. One of the reasons I seldom read SoWet was the constant advertisement drowning out discussion. The separation of the two on TOB was a relief. That board has since separated advertisement & discussion; a good improvement. The old TOB policy of placing contact information in a person's profile was just fine with me; I knew where to get it when I wanted. And it's not just the contact information which annoys me - graphics and extensive text in the signature line consume bandwidth & screen space without significant contribution to the discussion.

It's
Literally
a ___________________
Fine Line

AnD
Advertising in one's Signature

Edited by Kaduk

Well at least now you know that 100% of that persons post is advertising instead of 90%. Maybe the lawyers can get advertising here too.

Is your problem the links in signature line or the size of the ad. The first few I saw where beautiful but did seem to be a bit large to me. Of course it could be jealous on my part. This lovely tech savvy women. I do wish that they would get together and teach a computer marketing class. I would be the first to sign up. I went the simple route with a little help with Scarlett Desire. Her signature block had all the right links without being a billboard. I do think it is a great idea to have links to our websites. It is a new idea and the board may need a few weeks to work out the kinks. Of course so far there has only been one compliant.

Well, I could go so far as to say that all of your threads that consistently bash women make you look stupid and desperate too, but I won't. :cool:

Oxy said we can do it, so your (2big) opinion is not needed in this matter.

I must excuse myself now, as I have a LONG list of girlfriends that post here that need me to make banners for their signature lines.

Spanks!

:cool:

graphics and extensive text in the signature line consume bandwidth & screen space without significant contribution to the discussion.

With all due respect Bit (because I DO respect your opinion), it doesn't use more bandwidth that the old GIF I used to have in my sig line.

I took a minute to run this post through the hobby forum post translator.

here is what I got back...................:D

"Ladies I love each and everyone of you, so use caution. posting a picture

of yourself in your signature line is not allowed".;)

... And it's not just the contact information which annoys me - graphics and extensive text in the signature line consume bandwidth & screen space without significant contribution to the discussion.

With all due respect Bit (because I DO respect your opinion), it doesn't use more bandwidth that the old GIF I used to have in my sig line.

Duely noted. I have similar problems (bandwidth & landscape) with the GIFs which appeared in some signature lines (Not trying to single you out, Destiny). My preference would be for sig lines to be limited to 1-2 lines of plain text.

Is your problem the links in signature line or the size of the ad. ...

Both actually.

In an earlier reply I addressed the size issue.

As Kudak pointed out, there's a fine line separating signature lines from advertising on the discussion board. On another board in another time a well know provider had the habit of frequent "+1" posts simply to get her name/contact in front of people w/o contributing to the discussion; very annoying. While I don't worry too much about the ladies who have been contributing members of our board (you know who you are), I do worry about new YL unfamiliar with our culture filling the board with ads. Something the mods may have a difficult time controlling because these YL will be acting w/in the rules.

Let's just say that this is one change I'm not happy about, but they're not my rules to make. I do NOT blame those who jumped on it when the rules changed; that's just good business sense.

It's the weekend.. and I'll contribute.

I'm in slight agreement with 2big here. I'm of the opinion that over-use of graphics of any kind for a signature is too much. I believe it should be simple links/contact info. My vote is there should be a size limit.

.. kinda like stationery address line.

Edited by Mace
content

Size limit should be two lines in standard font, no fancy graphics, etc. Uni-color also, black preferably.

I took a minute to run this post through the hobby forum post translator.

here is what I got back...................:D

"Ladies I love each and everyone of you, so use caution. posting a picture

of yourself in your signature line is not allowed".;)

OOPS~does my eye count Boink????...if so I need to make a new one...:D

"I just threw up one of my banners"...for now

I like it:), All the other boards let us girls add our links & site to our signature line...so why not:cool:

-Not as tech-savy as some. I did try to have mine placed as small as possible, and this was what was the smallest it could be, while fitting in the links allowed....Still playing with it. I do feel there should be a limit on the size, for scrolling on a phone, etc. but I don't see any of these being to large so far.

I can say that I have gotten plenty new business from the direct link to my reviews, so it would suck to change the rule now. Also, more guys have commented (to me directly) that they like it, than not.

Oh, and by the way, I'm using the same amount of signature space as some guy's do.

Example-check out the space Nusa and Boink are using for an example. I do not see that as being too large. Mine is the same size of space. The only difference is that the links are part of the graphix on mine.

Edited by Velvet Valentine
sp.

OOPS~does my eye count Boink????...if so I need to make a new one...:D

"I just threw up one of my banners"...for now

I like it:), All the other boards let us girls add our links & site to our signature line...so why not:cool:

~Hmmm, I'll change it till you let me know....;)

Thanks

I actually really like it. I like having the links to the ladies sites and reviews right on the board. For a lazy guy like me this rocks.

I actually really like it. I like having the links to the ladies sites and reviews right on the board. For a lazy guy like me this rocks.

I like it from another point of view as well. Avitars and signitures give the poster a small amount of personality when they post and IMO that makes the board more interesting to read.

The new signitures that are showing up are representative of the efforts the provider's put forth in projecting an image for themselves. It can show how serious they are about contributing to the board.

I'm in slight agreement with 2big here. I'm of the opinion that over-use of graphics of any kind for a signature is too much. I believe it should be simple links/contact info. My vote is there should be a size limit.

+ 1

GinaXXX/Oxy posted rules for signature line in the EOB forum. I am curious, do any of the other moderators have an outline of the new signature rules? The reason that I ask, is because there are several ladies here that do not have access to that forum and those rules that are breaking the rules and do not even know it. I would post it here, but obviously I can't since that would be considered leaking information off of that forum.

GinaXXX/Oxy posted rules for signature line in the EOB forum. I am curious, do any of the other moderators have an outline of the new signature rules? The reason that I ask, is because there are several ladies here that do not have access to that forum and those rules that are breaking the rules and do not even know it. I would post it here, but obviously I can't since that would be considered leaking information off of that forum.

Do the rules on the EOB not match the rules regarding signatures in the posting rules?

Note to Providers: Your signature may contain a link to your website, a link to your reviews, and/or a link to your P411 page. Contact information such as phone number or E-mail address is also permitted in your signature. No other information that could be considered advertising is permitted in your signature or in posts. You may upload your picture to use as your avatar only.

I guess if Im stupid and desperate so be it. I honestly dont give a shit.

Do the rules on the EOB not match the rules regarding signatures in the posting rules?

Oops! I didn't see that. Yes, it matches.

So, I was under the impression that photos of ourselves were not allowed.

It's a new policy, so we're all still learning, trying new things.

My first attempt was enormous. The latest version is only 130 pixels high, as I try to keep it smaller, yet get in the necessary links, and have it be aesthetically pleasing. My old sig was a cat lady, and was much taller.

Part of what we're doing is that girls like to make stuff pretty. We do that in our homes, on our websites, on our bodies, and yes, in our sigs.

I see two things coming down the pike based on complaints about sigs that are actually smaller than many old sigs.

First, Oxy is fair. If you want to limit size for providers, size will be limited for all. Many hobbyists have larger, taller sigs than mine and will have to change too.

The second thing is that ALL graphic content may be banned entirely -- which is a shame, cuz I think a lot of men and women enjoy putting graphics in Sigs.

I really think the truth is (based on the language and tone of the initial OP, and some subsequent responses) is that what some REALLY have a problem with is not the size or graphics, but the fact that suddenly providers are being allowed to blatantly advertise in our posts.

This is allowed on many other well-respected boards. You aren't used to that, and I respect that. But I have to wonder if part of the issue is one of illusion/perception. That it's nice to think providers come here just to hang out and chat, that it's not just about business.

I think for most, that's true. But to pretend there isn't a business element at all would be disingenuous. Most folks don't chat around the office water cooler on their day off. Doesn't mean they don't truly enjoy the social interaction and get something personal out of it.

The sigs probably should be limited in size, I'll agree with that. But beyond that... Well, careful what you wish for, you might find your own freedoms curtailed.

Xxxxoooo

Beverly ;-*

Oops! I didn't see that. Yes, it matches.

So, I was under the impression that photos of ourselves were not allowed.

This is the correct impression. when I find signatures like this they are deleted.

I have it turned off. Frankly, most of the Guys were annoying, too large and useless for the purpose of the board. So I turned them all off.

I'm pretty certain that when Gina wrote the rules she didn't think girls would put 3 inch banner ads into their sigs that look like the world wide web ca. 1997.

I really would like to see alll graphic content dis-allowed. Put a small text line with your contact info into your sig, if you must. That's it.

And, yes, not every part of this website needs to be plastered full of advertisements.

I absolutely agree.

The reason I want to allow contact info in signatures is because I want providers to utilize the board more, which in turn brings in more clients, which brings in more providers, and so on... and so on. My idea of a vibrant community is one that grows and evolves through time, and I'm going to do what I can to encourage everyone's participation.

However, I'm also of the opinion that while some graphics can be done very tastefully done and in a size that isn't irritating, too often it's done in a way that the AD overtakes the contribution to the discussion.

For that reason, we're going to implement some more stringent guidelines:

Provider Signature Rules

Your signature may contain a text link to your website, a link to your reviews, and/or a link to your P411 page or similar. Contact information such as phone number or E-mail address is also permitted in your signature. Size must not be greater than 4 using the forum editing tools.

If you would like to use a graphic for your signature, it must not be larger than 650x120 in total. It may NOT be animated. It may NOT include an image of a human body part. It may only contain text links to your website, a links to your reviews, and/or a link to your P411 page or similar. Contact information such as phone number or E-mail address is also permitted in your signature. Size of text must not be greater than what would be comparable to 4, using the forum editing tools.

Signatures may not be overly gaudy (colors, all caps, etc), determined only by the forum moderators' collected opinion.

No other information that could be considered advertising is ever permitted in your signature or in posts.

You may upload your picture to use as your avatar only.

How does this sound? I'm open to feedback from both sides and hope that we can find middle ground. I won't be updating the rules until final word on this has been decided, and would like to see a good example of an acceptable graphic to direct people to (I'm thinking Beverly's is a good current example?).

Always,

Gina