Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
freedom11

MOVED: Spelling? Just curious.

32 posts in this topic

Its always been interesting to see the unique spelling on BP ads. It got me thinking... Are gals posting when they are so hammered that they don't catch it? Or, are pimps that dropped out in 3rd grade writing them ? Its a wonder their ads get any response at all. Just a stupid observation. BTW

The ladies I have met have all been pretty sharp. This was not intended as a general slam to providers. Far from it.

I have always assumed that it was a combination of trying to use weird characters and spelling to disorient search engines and a feeling that most guys are looking at the pics and rates and aren't looking for a spelling bee contestant.

Not to go all gB, but the sad fact is that while the ones that are any good at it tend to be smart and can express themselves via the written word, there are no educational/intellectual prerequisites to post an ad.

I have wondered the same thing. I guess its a pretty good clue as to the cast of characters you can find on BP. Usually not good.

I have always assumed that it was a combination of trying to use weird characters and spelling to disorient search engines and a feeling that most guys are looking at the pics and rates and aren't looking for a spelling bee contestant.

Not to go all gB, but the sad fact is that while the ones that are any good at it tend to be smart and can express themselves via the written word, there are no educational/intellectual prerequisites to post an ad.

Would have to say MrReindeer pretty sums it up imo on the majority of the ads.

While we're at it, someone explain the whole apostrophe "s" problem.

Bug's me more than the spelling.

Or is punctuation off topic in a spelling thread?

Just one of my many question's.

xxxooo

Beverly ;-*

Hi Bev,

LOL, that was brilliant, and much appreciated!

I'm interested in the apparently common confusion between "discreet" and "discrete."

Have a few theories on this from a linguistics perspective--probably best shared with friends, over a glass or two of Taittinger ...

And what about those math skills? :eek:

Saw an ad the other day:

$100/half or $250/hour

I called and said "I will take 2 half hour appointments" she then asked "why"?

I explained it to her and she hung up on me... :confused:

That made my day! Maybe shouldn't have given the actual reason just as an object lesson... really it is something to think about... your teacher was right about using math for the rest of your life!

xxxooo

Beverly ;-*

LOL.

Back to the topic...

I think it's pretty much what has been mentioned (primarily advertising eye catchers and illiteracy). But, in the "olden" days, there was a time when Backpage stated, and reiterated during the posting process, that phone numbers were not to be posted. This led most advertisers to obfuscating the phone number by using text for numbers (SevenOhTwo-2O2-etc., or embedding the phone numbers into the pictures. I think those days are gone, but the technique seems to have caught on.

-J.D.

And what about those math skills? :eek:

Saw an ad the other day:

$100/half or $250/hour

This could be because she wants to discourage hour appointments.

xxxooo

Beverly ;-*

With modern technology, it seems as though kids are not learning proper English. Heck, we can not even pass a law declaring English as our national language.

Also, what is alarming is the improper use of like sounding words, such as to, too, and two, or there and their for example.

Here's a good one from Backpage today...

"CONGRAGULATIONS YOUR SEARCH is OVER". :D

-J.D. (Hukd on fonix wurked fur me!)

With modern technology, it seems as though kids are not learning proper English. Heck, we can not even pass a law declaring English as our national language.

Also, what is alarming is the improper use of like sounding words, such as to, too, and two, or there and their for example.

So true. I thinking Texting while fairly nice at times, is just speeding up the demise of the written language into some bastardize abomination.

"CONGRAGULATIONS YOUR SEARCH is OVER"...

Maybe she meant ConGAGulations? :D

Its always been interesting to see the unique spelling on BP ads. It got me thinking... Are gals posting when they are so hammered that they don't catch it? Or, are pimps that dropped out in 3rd grade writing them ? Its a wonder their ads get any response at all. Just a stupid observation. BTW

The ladies I have met have all been pretty sharp. This was not intended as a general slam to providers. Far from it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj6QqCH7g0Q :P

Your right instead of you're right. There, their , and they're are 4 seporate words. There wasn't too many awake during English classes were there?

Your right instead of you're right. There, their , and they're are 4 separate words. There wern't too many awake during English classes were there?

Fixed it for ya...:D

As an ex-language instructor and linguist, I automatically turn off my internal grammar & spell-check when logging onto TOB or BP and concentrate on a lovely lady upon whom I can hone my lingual skills...:D

Your right instead of you're right. There, their , and they're are 4 seporate words. There wasn't too many awake during English classes were there?

You are absolutely "write". jk

Your right instead of you're right. There, their , and they're are 4 separate words. There weren't too many awake during English classes were there?

Fixed it for ya...:D

Fixed the fix :P:D

Dear Ms. Fisher,

The apostrophe s is explained as follows.

's is a contraction. Such as; Beverly's a red head. (Short for Beverly is).

s' is the possive. Beverlys' beautiful hair is red.

I hope this answers your questions. (No apostrophe, just add the s to make the word plural uasge)

J.

Dear Ms. Fisher,

I hope this answers your questions. (No apostrophe, just add the s to make the word plural uasge)

J.

Actually in both examples you used it would still be Beverly's.

If I remember correctly the only time it is s' is when the name ends in an S for the possessive.

As an ex-language instructor and linguist, I automatically turn off my internal grammar & spell-check when logging onto TOB or BP and concentrate on a lovely lady upon whom I can hone my lingual skills...:D

LOL yes, not here for no spelling or grammar lessons neither. :D

Hi Bev,

LOL, that was brilliant, and much appreciated!

I'm interested in the apparently common confusion between "discreet" and "discrete."

Have a few theories on this from a linguistics perspective--probably best shared with friends, over a glass or two of Taittinger ...

According to my spell checker they are both correct. I guess that means they are interchangeable! :rolleyes:

Dear Ms. Fisher,

J.

My dear J.,

Thank you so much for the clarification. I am in your debt.

English is so complicated.

xxxoo

Beverly ;-*

According to my spell checker they are both correct. I guess that means they are interchangeable! :rolleyes:

They are no more interchangeable than "there" & "their", or "to","two", & "too". Check out the difference. They are homophones.

xxxooo

Beverly ;-*

Bev, Bev, Bev... don't you know that in the 21st century, apostrophes will be used to alert the reader to an impending "s"? (or should that be "apostrophe's"? <wry chuckle>)

... Beverlys' beautiful hair is red. ...

That should be "Beverlys' beautiful hair are red." I'm not sure how many Beverlys we're talking about. But if only one then ColoSeeker has the answer.

Actually in both examples you used it would still be Beverly's.

If I remember correctly the only time it is s' is when the name ends in an S for the possessive.

Ends in an 's', as often happens when using a plural form.

Ends in an 's', as often happens when using a plural form.

Well one example is Russ owning something, as Russ' Car.

It is supposed to be proper that way, but Russ's is also acceptable but "improper" if I remember things correctly.